Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Primers

ky99

For 'normal' 45 Autos, I don't think the primers matter much. I only use Winchester because they're the cheapest. You might buy a smaller quantity first, make sure they light off ok.

If you're reloading revolver, many people use Federals, because they seem to be more sensitive.

I don't have a 550, but my 650 cannot load CCI's at all! I use Reminton, Winchester, and Federal primers all without problems. I think the CCI's are a tad taller than the rest of them and that's what hangs up in my press.

Vince

Sargenv-that doesn't sound right to me. I have a 550 (2) and have had no problem with CCIs in many years. (10-15 years ago the small pistols allegedly weren't quite "round" and would hang up the primer feed).

I load CCI mostly in rifles, but do 45s with the same brand and have no trouble. Can't see why a 650 would reject them. I would call Dillon and ask. I really like CCI and Federal primers and several other shooters I hang use them, too.

I think I'd ask Dillon.

Bob

I can only reiterate what the others have said, but I also have an additional comment. First the reiteration. From what folks say, the most sensitive primers are Federal. The next most sensitive are Winchester. CCI are the hardest primers. I’m not clear where the Remington primers fall in all this but at least one person has said they are about the same as the CCI primers. I use Federal primers for my revolver because it has a lightened trigger and doesn’t hit the primers as hard as a semi-auto firing pin usually does. I use CCI for all the semi-auto loads, and even with a lightened hammer spring (19lb. in a 1911) and titanium firing pin I’ve experienced no misfires with CCI pistol primers.

My additional comment: Sargenv noted that his 650 doesn’t like CCI primers, and at one point many years ago Dillon suggested that folks avoid them because they were too long. When I first got a Square Deal B and the 650 (years back) I had problems seating CCI primers flush. I called Dillon and they said that I should avoid CCI primers, and that I should use Winchester primers. Odd, I never had problems with my Rockchucker press and CCI primers. Turns out that the Dillon folks were wrong. The presses, as configured by them and sent to me, had difficulty seating any primer flush. I made some adjustments and they seated the CCIs just fine. It wasn’t the primer, it was the press. Since then I’ve loaded near 100,000 CCI primers with the Square Deal B and 650 with no problems. They seat below flush or flush just fine. In fact, I’ve probably had more trouble with Winchester primers than any other brand – in this case they get hung up in the primer pick-up tube.

The bottom line is that if sensitivity is an issue, go with Federal or Winchester. If sensitivity is not an issue, go with whatever you load likes.

By the way, some powders discriminate between primers.

Good luck

You guys sound like you're in the know and as long as you're on the subject of primers, answer me this,

Last night I loaded 300 45ACP. My Winchester (from a new box) primers acted up a little, as in about 10 of 300 hung up in the primer tubes and were very stubborn to get to fall out.

A few just didn't want to go in the tubes at all !

My primer tubes are new, clean and straight.

Is this in your opinion possibly a bad primer lot ?

use federal, they are the BEST.

CCI are a pain in the butt to seat, even harder to light off and are so thick and hard, they dont seal off the primer pocket at 45 acp pressures..

Ive had a rash of bad winchesters....seems like everytime i buy some, i get bad ones...

Remington primers-i havent used enough of them to form an opinion..they may be good..but not better than federal.