Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Brand Of Fiber Optic Sight For S&w 610?

encoreman

:blink: I want to put a fiber optic on my 610 any suggestions. I really saw the difference when I put one on my para. Thanks Mac

I use SDM .250" with a stock rear height sight:

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?...52&min=2&dyn=1&

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...VER+SUPER+SIGHT

I think the rod diameter is .030".

Jerry had a green one in at the '05 USPSA Nats. But he switches them around fairly frequently.

I usually shoot red, but I keep several colors of fiber optic rod in my range bag. Don't think I've ever changed colors at a match, though...

Pole. Which color is preferred and why?

Color is an important thing to your individual eye sight. I have green only because I can not get yellow in the .060 size for the SDM sight. Red does not pick up fast for me. Green is better, but I see yellow the fastest.

Jerry is still using green as of two days ago.

Regards,

Color is an important thing to your individual eye sight. I have green only because I can not get yellow in the .060 size for the SDM sight. Red does not pick up fast for me. Green is better, but I see yellow the fastest.

Is there anyone other than Weigand who offers a S&W front sight that you can change the tube on? They are also the only one I see with a yellow tube. :huh:

Absolutely--you can easily change the fiber optic rods on the SDM and EGW models.

You can get F/O rod in many colors (including yellow) dirt cheap from these guys:

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Flourescent.htm

Mike, how do you change out the fiber rod ??

Mine looked staked in at the barrel end, and I thought Scott used some glue too??

Did you use your Dremel tool :)

Do we need to pack a battery Dremel in our bags now for glow rod replacement :P

Inquiring minds need to know ;)

If they're staked, it's minimal enough it doesn't do much.

No--no dremel for this little job--just nail clippers and a butane cigar lighter (I like the "flameless" kind). Clear out the old rod, install the new one leaving it a couple millimeters long, then use the lighter to mushroom just the ends of the fiber-optic rod. Keep the heat away from the center part of the rod or it will melt too. Leave it just loose enough that it will move back and forth a tiny bit, that will help prevent it from breaking.

I think glue of any type is unnecessary and counterproductive.

It takes about a minute to do, and can be easily accomplished at a safe area between stages of a match. (I don't think I've ever replaced one of mine during a match, but I've helped other people with theirs several times.)

If you buy F/O rod by the yard, you'll have tons to practice and experiment with!

If they're staked, it's minimal enough it doesn't do much.

No--no dremel for this little job--just nail clippers and a butane cigar lighter (I like the "flameless" kind). Clear out the old rod, install the new one leaving it a couple millimeters long, then use the lighter to mushroom just the ends of the fiber-optic rod. Keep the heat away from the center part of the rod or it will melt too. Leave it just loose enough that it will move back and forth a tiny bit, that will help prevent it from breaking.

I think glue of any type is unnecessary and counterproductive.

It takes about a minute to do, and can be easily accomplished at a safe area between stages of a match. (I don't think I've ever replaced one of mine during a match, but I've helped other people with theirs several times.)

If you buy F/O rod by the yard, you'll have tons to practice and experiment with!

I'm confused Mike :wacko:

Do your SDM sights have the hole go all the way thru ?? Mine don't and from your

description that's what it sounds like?

Sorry Dave, I think I'm the confused one here....I must be thinking of the EGW product.

On the SDMs I have mushroomed the front of the rod just enough so it can be press-fit into the hole and stay put in on its own, then clip the other end off and mushroom it flush. No back and forth movement on this set-up obviously.

After your reminder, I think I just decided I like the EGW design better!

Sorry Dave, I think I'm the confused one here....I must be thinking of the EGW product.

On the SDMs I have mushroomed the front of the rod just enough so it can be press-fit into the hole and stay put in on its own, then clip the other end off and mushroom it flush. No back and forth movement on this set-up obviously.

After your reminder, I think I just decided I like the EGW design better!

I was gonna say, I have around 8 SDM sights and none have the hole all the way thru,

course nothing says I can't drill 'em thru and replace the light pipe your way !

I just checked the EGW site, I don't see any Revo sights, did you use his auto type sights

and just dovetail the rib on your revo ??

Again...inquiring minds want to know :lol:

I just checked the EGW site, I don't see any Revo sights, did you use his auto type sights

Dave, the EGW revolver sight I've used is Brownells part number 296-000-039. We've got it on the 25-2 Sam shoots.

Dave, the EGW revolver sight I've used is Brownells part number 296-000-039. We've got it on the 25-2 Sam shoots.

Thanks Mike.

As for color, I tried the red and I tried the green and I settled on an orange one for my Para. I will probably eventually get a fiber front sight for my 610, but currently I don't feel a need to since what I have works now.

I probably chose the orange FO sight since I'd been influenced over the years by my orange ramp revolver sights. :)

Vince

"The EGW revolver sight I've used is Brownells part number 296-000-039. "

If I use this EGW front sight on my 625-8, and I want to change also the rear sight like Millet, what will be the correct blade height that I can order? In Brownells catalog there are three spec. .312, .360 and .410".

By the way, I just shot my first wheel gun match yesterday. I'm glad I made the switch.

Thanks guy I put a SDM on it, my personal gunsmith said he super glues the FO in and it it needs replacement use the proper size drill bit to clean out the old FO. Thanks for all the input. Now all I need to do is load up about 4,000 rounds and go practice. Tough job, but somebody needs to do it.