Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w M627 .38super

RobE1010

I think I am going to the dark side...Open division! I currently shoot ICORE Limited and occasionly USPSA Limited 10 with my M627 8-shot V-Comp .357Mag/.38Spl revo. Luckily, unfortunately depending on the possible outcome :), I will be acquiring another M627 8-shot but in .38Super! It is already setup for ICORE Open division with an OKO sight (change or other suggestions?), standard/mandatory Miculek grip, standard S&W Performance Center trigger job (definite change needed-suggestions?), and about 10 or so moonclips. I'm no Jerry Miculek or Cliff Walsh- I want to be competitive but having fun is most important! Please help with any ideas or suggestions on holsters, moonclips and moonclip holders, different sights and trigger job/upgraded parts.

Thanks in advance!

Rob E.

I'm no Jerry Miculek or Cliff Walsh-

Who is???? :lol::lol::lol:

I think Jerry uses the cr speed rig. Luke uses some german copy of the universal shooting holster that seems to work well. Hearthco clips are the only way to go for matches but you might want to get some brownell's clips for practice. Moonclips.com sells the 8 shot holders.

What are you using for you limited setup??

Dot sight is all preference. I think Jerry goes with the holosight. I see a lot of C-more too.

You going to the IRC???

Do not under any circumstance buy the Brownells 38 super moonclips. The ones I got were absolutely dreadful. Bullets either don't fit no matter how hard you press, or they don't hold them and they fall out.

The S&W ones that come with the gun are actually pretty good. If I didn't buy a whole bunch from Dave Hearth, I would get some of those for practice.

Hey there, Cliff! Yeah, Jerry probably heard you were gonna be at Frostproof again and saved himself the embarassment :)

It was good to see you and the other revo guys showing the bottomfeeders how to actually hit the target! I have yet to see any results from the FL Open...are congratulations in order? I hope so.

Either way, it was good to see you again and talk a bit in person...I had not seen you since the Gateway ICORE matches.

I currently use Safariland belts and the 002 (?)holster, California Comp Works moonclip holders, and Brownells moonclips for the Limited setup. As for Open; I was thinking of going with a CR Speed holster, Hearthco moonclips (financing available?), the metal post design moonclip holders (I don't know who makes them, and of course keep the dot sight.

Can you verify what Jerry is using for a red dot now? I thought I read or saw somewhere that he was using OKO now because the sight adjustments are more precise and secure...it also has a form of back-up iron sights! What do you use or what did you use for a red dot?

As for the IRC...I still want to go and I'm sure I could get the time off of work (advantage when working at a gun shop/range) but it would be the week after my buddy's wedding/cruise I'm going to :) If things change, we should meet up for sure.

Thanks gobaby! I will keep that info in mind. It's a shame though because I use the Brownells for my 8-shot .357 V-Comp and they work fine. I guess I'll have to pay the extra for good .38Super moonclips. What brass do you use in the Hearthco moonclips? The standard Federal and Remington?

I used a c-more for the 5 minutes I toyed with open class.

Jerry might have changed. The last time I remember seeing his gun, it had a holosight but now that you mention it; I think you might be right.

moonclips.com sells the holders that everyone uses. Jerry has removed the metal insert and put in a wooden rod that will hold like 5 moons stacked up.

I has good luck with the brownell's super clips. I use them all the time. I use starline brass and think they work great. Not as good as the hearthco's but plenty good for the local match.

try to make the IRC. Luke is going for first time this year. It would be good to squad up.

Cliff

Hearthco moonclips (financing available?)

It's really not that expensive to run Hearthco moonclips......just get 35 or 40 of your auto-pistol shooting buddies to email Dave and ask for a free sample......

HAHA!! :D

(Kidding....even I'm not that cheap.)

RobE,

I humbly offer my rig for your consideration:

I shoot an open gun in ICORE. My gun is a converted M28 to 8 shot by Charlie Prest of RPM in 1996.

For USPSA I use a stock 625-3 5" barrel.

For optics I use a (revised) Tasco Optima 2000 with a custom extra battery holder made by Ralph Arredondo. I won that scope at the IRC in 1999 so, the price was right. I placed 14th overall that year.

All you have to do is get burned by an inferior moonclip and the cost of Hearthco's will seem like a give away. Other clips vary in fit and finish. Hearthco clips are consistent and offer excellent fit and function. So, save your money and get Hearthco...

"Cost is an issue only in the absence of value."

I use RP brass. Nickel plating is not necessary unless you are into Ammo that looks like jewelry.

For a holster I use a Safariland 002 and matching belt. I modified the screw on the hoster by the cylinder so I can adjust the hold of the gun when I draw. A very loose holster hold on the gun is helpful in matches like the Steel Challange where you draw the gun 27 times and if you can save up to .30sec each time, well you do the math.

For moonclip holders I use the Old Safariland metal clips with no insert. I get the non- insert models because those are the least expensive and I add my own insert. I learned this modification from Cedric "Mr. Fixit" Yoshimura so here goes:

For .38 super I punch a hole (use a sharp punch) in the bottom of the clip where the "post" would go. I then ream the hole to 3/8". I use a tapered reamer because a drill bit won't cut that spring steel well. I get these plastic things called "bed post fillers" from Orhcard Supply and Hardware Store (OSH). I thread the filler for a 3/8 X 16tpi screw. Now you can screw the filler onto the clip and Viola!! Instant filler. The size of the filler is roughly 1.110" in diameter and is looks like it is actually relieved to hold ammo.

For .45 cal I modify the filler because the larger .38super fillers hold .45 ammo too tight for my liking. I go back to OSH and get the .750"(measured at the bottom of the filler) fillers and switch.

I clip the ammo in the holder using two rounds pinched between the front of the clip and the filler. For me this gives the best hold and ability to pick for reloads.

Walt S,

I used those TK Custom holders when they first came out a couple of years ago. Now it may have been my running technique but when I would move up range quickly, I noticed that I was leaving a trail of loaded clips like bread crumbs. I hope you have better success.

Lastly, whatever equipment you settle on: Practice, Practice, Practice.

DVC

Renny

Thanks for the info, guys! I think I'll get a few "practice" moonclips for indoor and local matches and invest in the Hearthco for larger matches.

I do like the free moonclip sample idea though, Carmoney! How about it, Dave? Write-off for product testing survey?! :) Otherwise, I'll try to find something that works for me as I go.

What the HELL is practice?!

Practice?

That's something most of us do at the match.

FWIW: Dave did offer me a sample of his work and I saw the difference immediately.

I like to use and practice with the same clips and ammo I use at the match. That way you can become consistent.

Good Luck

Renny

What's up Florida guy (Cliff). I'll look you up this year at the IRC

Now I don't know about knowing my stuff but if my expreiences could save RobE from filling a couple of boxes of called "Extra shooting Stuff" then so be it.

Good shooting

Renny

FWIW: Dave did offer me a sample of his work and I saw the difference immediately.

Yep, I tease Dave a lot, but there is a difference. His moonclips are the best. One of these days when my ship comes in.......

Thanks Mike! I was starting to get a complex. B)

Thanks for the info, guys! I think I'll get a few "practice" moonclips for indoor and local matches and invest in the Hearthco for larger matches.

I do like the free moonclip sample idea though, Carmoney! How about it, Dave? Write-off for product testing survey?! :) Otherwise, I'll try to find something that works for me as I go.

What the HELL is practice?!

dhearth@hotmail.com B)