Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reconfiguration - 40 Skinny For Ss Div

dirtypool40

Guys. Here's that starting point:

My 2001 vintage .40 "Loaded" from Springfield Armory.

I sold it to a buddy stock. He sent it off to our gunsmith (who shall remain nameless and not be used in the future). It has since sat in the safe. I just got it back. It has some cosmetic work done, and runs like a raped ape. Functionally it is mostly stock, still has the stock, but tuned SA trigger parts, beavertail and single side safety.

I like the idea of not needing another press or set of dies to have a "single stack" division gun, and I like .40. If I were going to shoot only SS and L10 I might consider a .45, but I have a 1050 in .40 and this as a "starting point", so where to go from here?

It has checkering on the front strap, along with a high cut.

The top of the slide has been lightly flat topped, because the sights were obviously already there, so he had to leave that dumb little hump like SV does.

It has a nicely fit S&A magwell, and the original 2 piece guide rod.

I'm not crazy about the color of the (Ahrends) grips, and I think I'll replace the rear with a Heinie.

I'm kicking around to FO the front site or not, and am torn about replacing the beavertail when I have an ambi fit.

post-551-1140813507.jpg

Edited by dirtypool40

I have the exact same gun for ss class, did the Heine rear and fo front, you wont be sorry. It gives the same sight picture as the Bomar/fo on my limited guns. I also like the .40 better than .45 as it seems snappier and flatter to me. YMMV

Well, let's see pics Viking!!!

For mine I'm thinking:

Heinie Slant Pro Rear, thin FO front. With Heinie's I usually run a .0100 I think.

Brown Ambi and beavertail

I have one of the black plastic Kimber triggers in my stash and I think I'll use it, along with a Koenig hammer, and probably an EGW sear.

Checkered Mag release. McCormick?

Rear of slide serrated to match Heinie.

Black or McCormick presentation grade grips, although it would look great with some Ahrends Walnut. Definitely something dark and swirly.

I have an oversized EGW slide stop that has been box checkered by Derek. I think that will drop in.

I'll have Derek check to see if it needs a bushing. What's the sexy part here? An EGW or Briley spherical. Is the Briley SS legal?

The barrel has already been free bored enough to allow my 1.200" oal IPSC loads, and it gets fed them from Wilson .45 acp mags.

Edit - you were posting while I was, so... :)

I'd replace the grips w/ SA black micarta smooths or Alumagrips, and run some TruGrip on them (just cut off the grip panel sized piece, and leave the frontstrap uncovered, of course). If you want sexy, pretty grips, well, get those :) My Trojan is definitely a utility gun for me... the race gun is the pretty, sexy one... :)

I have a Wilson extended mag release on mine, but I need it for my short thumbs...

Mine will eventually have a Swenson and EE internals/hammer. Right now, running stock STI parts w/ some spring tweaking, making a nice 2#-ish pull.

.40 SSs seem to be more finicky than fat guns - for instance, mine will only feed ammo 1.180" or shorter (but feeds factory stuff fine). YMMV - if it runs the same ammo as your fat gun, I'd say you completely have a winner :) Freeboring is nice, too - mine can't get the longer stuff up the pipe, so... :)

Edited by XRe

I am having so much fun, my brother said to just send him a shopping cart from Brownell's and he'd buy it for my birthday. :)

I'm scanning grips at Brownells, WOW are there options.

What do you guys think of Navidrex and Gator grips?

Edited by dirtypool40

You won't be happy when you try to put a Brown beaver tail on it. The radious on springer frames is wrong. You will have to get the tangs welded and then recut to make a Brown work.

Been there, done that.

I hated the Springer Beaver tail enough to do it.

I am having so much fun, my brother said to just send him a shopping cart from Brownell's and he'd buy it for my birthday. :)

I'm scanning grips at Brownells, WOW are there options.

What do you guys think of Navidrex and Gator grips?

The grips on this pistol are Navidrex. I like them but I am considering a set of Carbon Creations to go with the facelift the pistol just recieved. :wub:

yeah, I was worried about that,<beavertail issue>.. So just high cut the stock one?

as to the grips, I was thinking about the rosewood colored ones. I think they bring out the stainless well. Or basic black. B)

Edited by dirtypool40

DP40,

The CMC mag release is the one I got, cheaper and a bit extended. Also, when I get my STI tactical adjustable sight (ordered yesterday) I'll have a Heinie for Novak cut rear available. I haven't tried the Gator grips but Gunners have such a bite that if you don't sand them a bit they'll make your hands bleed. Gators are made in here in FLA.

Post what you're looking for in the classifieds before you start spending money and get spanked! Let me know what you need.

The Beavertail Issue: TRUE! Rich told me about it. You can use a S&A and make it look like an STI by cutting the knuckle notches yourself.

Edited by Nemo

S&A makes a great beavertail with the 220 radius for the Springer. I can get you one for about $30.00 shipped. It's very easy to install and takes very little fitting + if you get it to me I'll get it installed for you if you'll loan me the Limited Nationals squad tape. :D

Edited by Bigbadaboom

Your library card is good....once you return the others.

Does the S&A get me higher than the stock one? It's fit and blended pretty nice as it is. Maybe I"ll just deal with it.

BTW, I found a couple mag releases. I want extended but not that will dump on a table. I'm leaning towards the McCormick.

The Wilson extended that I have won't releaese on a table. I have had it release once, though, on top of a plastic 55 gallon drum that was curved, and flexed slightly when you put your hand on the gun.... I have a stronger spring in it, now, though....

The beavertail on your gun looks suspiciously like the S&A part already..... even if its not, I don't think you'll gain much over what yours looks like in the pic, with .220 S&A part; (having just fit one..... )

Stick with the one you've got......unless you're just dying for a project :P

Edited by sfinney

Ditto on the keep the one you have Beavertail. I would pin it, and then get the sanding drums out and contour it higher the way you want it. I put an SA on mine and then ground the crap out of it, including putting the high grip divots in the sides of the top for your thumb. I dont think you will notice much difference over a Brown. I try my LB with the Brown next to it and they point the same for me. Kool thing is that you have a stainless gun = easier to refinish! :D DougC

The S&A grip safety is solid, the Springfield will be hollowed out on the inside not much room to grind on. The S&A can be cut like a Ed Brown be careful on the hammer notch it can get real thin in that area.

Rich

OK, closing in on a plan.

From the scrounge;

Koenig hammer.

McCormick / Kimber Black plastic trigger.

Brown .40 Match barrel and bushing. (maybe, I'll let Derek check it out, but hey somebody gave it to me, so if it has meat left to fit, why not?)

EGW slide stop

Heinie Slant Pro for Novak from Nemo (I hope)

From Brownell's

Navidrex purple grips, 'cuz I think they will look good, and I already have the black ones on the other gun.

EGW Sear

Brown Wide SS Ambi. (although the last couple of times I ordered one Brownells screwed it up and sent the single side. They did that on extractors too, .45 for .40, so I am thinking they have some bins labeled wrong)

McCormick SS mag catch. Cuz I want checkered and a little longer.

Smithin':

French Border.

NO ball cuts because I'm afraid SSC or IDPA might not let me play and I'm not even sure about SS Div in USPSA.

Trigger job.

Serrate rear of slide to match Heinie.

Barrel Fit?

Ambi blend and high cut as possible uner beavertail. (thanks for the head's up Rich).

Lok-tite and trim guide rod to 1-piece length.

flatten slide stop. Dimple right side.

dimple left side at mag catch.

thin front FO at sight in.

Bead blast everything once we are done.

Edited by dirtypool40

Dude, relax, it's much worse than that. :P

I already have you penciled in for some tweaks.

The list is just where I hope to take things....eventually. My brother is buying the parts.

I figure for now, drop in the stuff I can, like the mag release, grips and slide stop, get some <ahem> help on trigger job and tap the rear sight in when Nemo jumps off of it.

The machine work and the rest of the G'smithin' will have to wait for the tax return.

Edited by dirtypool40

• 2 weeks later...

SO, I quess that means you would'nt sell it me huh? I kinda figured you would keep it the way it sounded, I do have a line on another one though, still going to build the Hi-Cap 40 that S.A. refused to, Good Luck on your project dirtypool

mike

:) no grieve or heat, just admiration to a man that's like me, I sold a ruger security six years ago and then missed it and took me several years to buy it back for more than I let it go for, you don't miss it till it's gone. GOOK LUCK! :D