Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chokes 4 the scatterguns

actionshooter

I am kinda curious about what others are using for chokes. I am getting ready to buy one of the comps that internaly threads into the barrel and the the comp threads into that. (don't remember the name now) What choke would be best for all around courses (uspsa)? Does any one have any better ideas on the comp?

DVC Steve

To be honest, I don't think comps help a whole bunch on shotguns.  I don't really shoot my open gun too much faster than my Limited - a little maybe but not much.  My open 1187 has both the Briley comp and is ported.

I normally rely on an improved cylinder for my standard choke.  However, on courses with poppers at 25 yards, I've used modifed and even full.  I don't use skeet or cylinder that much but I have seen good shooters do so on some courses.    

I seem to always use a modified choke in my shotguns.I have not seen much if any advantage in porting or brakes IPSC shooting with shotguns.I shoot stock as fast as open the only difference is the optic in open makes it a lot easier for me.

Bill H

I normally use a modified. Be sure to have a selection of chokes and ammo on hand though. Sometimes a course of fire can be completed much faster by using a tight choke/heavy load to engage targets from a point uprange without much movement. I've dropped steel at 40 yards using a turkey choke and magnum loads. Be sure to check your gun/load combo before trying this. Some combos work, some don't.

Modified is a do it all choke that works well with a variety of loads as well as slugs (even though IC is most recommended for rifled slugs).

I use a modified choke most of the time with 1 or 1 1/8 oz. loads. I don't think the comp/choke combo is worth anything, but porting the barrel at least 5 inches back from the muzzle works great. I use a 21 inch Benelli for limited and open. Changing barrels, (both 21 inch) from limited to a ported open barrel makes a big difference.