Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transistions

Putty

When transitioning target to target from a stationary point, is it best to turn at the knees, waist or both, depending on circumstances? At a major match I was told to keep my arm triangle and pivot or turn with the knees, but it does not feel as fast or comfortable.

I beg to differ. :)

Your attention may be drawn to either your feet or knees because that is where you first become aware of resistance, but the turning movements begin with contraction of those muscle groups around your waist and hips.

I was experimenting with transition technique as Jake Di Vita described here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33160

It seems, at least the way I understand it, that he isn't so much turning at the waist on a target transition as he is rotating and tilting by bending his legs.

I could be wrong, though, but it is an intriguing idea. :P

I beg to differ. :)

Your attention may be drawn to either your feet or knees because that is where you first become aware of resistance, but the turning movements begin with contraction of those muscle groups around your waist and hips.

I know... I didn't provide anything useful, really. But just see how quick you can pivot the next time you find yourself floating in space. :lol:

I know I meant something by that comment even though I wasn't sure what it was at the time. Maybe it was... instead of thinking about what muscles to contract in order to pivot quickly - With your pistol in position and pointed straight ahead, without moving anything from your belt up, as quickly as possible - just snap a perfect sight alignment 90º to the left. Then snap it back to straight ahead, then snap it to the right, and so on. How fast can you do it while maintaining aligned sights in each position?

be

Edited by benos

The human body is designed to convert rotating movement in linear progression.

When twisting, with your feet planted, your primary movers are the spinal, posterior thigh and anterior thigh muscles..Quads, hamstrings, glutes, lower spinalis muscles.

You are rotating on the subtalar joints of the foot. (The joint under your ankle joint)

It is designed as a 'screw' With each joint a mirror image of the other. When twisting clockwise, your left foot will pronate (flatten) and your right will supinate (form more of an arch).. Counterclockwise, things go the other way. Think of you feet as precision bearings that allow the rotation. but you feel it in you hips and knees because those muscles that control those joints are the ones allowing the movement.

:ph34r:

The human body is designed to convert rotating movement in linear progression.

When twisting, with your feet planted, your primary movers are the spinal, posterior thigh and anterior thigh muscles..Quads, hamstrings, glutes, lower spinalis muscles.

You are rotating on the subtalar joints of the foot. (The joint under your ankle joint)

It is designed as a 'screw' With each joint a mirror image of the other. When twisting clockwise, your left foot will pronate (flatten) and your right will supinate (form more of an arch).. Counterclockwise, things go the other way. Think of you feet as precision bearings that allow the rotation. but you feel it in you hips and knees because those muscles that control those joints are the ones allowing the movement.

:ph34r:

Yea.

;)