Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major 9mm With Power Pistol

Harmon

here are the gun specs

STI frame, STI slide

brazos trubor barrel, 9X19 caliber, no ports in the barrel. its a full 5 inch gun.

EE trigger group, C-more serindipity scope.

gun was built by Tripp research and chromed by them.

Now the load:

Mixed once fired brass

alliant power pistol powder

ATK/Speer bulk full metal jacket bullets 124 grain .3555 dia

OAL is 1.160 inches

first load i tried was 6.6 grains of power pistol and a federal 100 primer(this is still a book load and i already had these federal primers in the machine for loading glock minor ammo)

10 round avg is 1338.9 fps or a power factor of 166.01

while this makes major, i am going to bump it a few tenths to get it to 170 power factor

and even the wimpy federal 100s are not showing much pressure.

More to follow.

Harmon

Edited by harmongreer

OK, same specs except mixed range brass changed to "once fired winchester"

and the load bumped to 6.8 grains. here is the results:

avg velocity 1402 fps approx 173 power factor...im done

edwin, there are 200 thousandths of an inch betweent he top of the powder collumn and the mouth of the case. the bullet seated at 1.160 just touches the powder.

the powder is a light flakey powder. i loaded some rounds with 7.3 grains to break the gun in...i did not chrono them though...they were pretty warm probably getting close to 180 power factor.

if i recall correctly, some of the guys shooting the "Porty-shorty 9mms" have loaded 8.0 grains or more w/o problems.

its on par with 7625 when you compare cleanliness and doesnt flatten the hell out of the primers.

ive also tested some HS6 too, but its more dirty and has a more pronounced "dot rise" than the power pistol.

out of all the "cheap" powders, the power pistol was the winner for me.

and another plus(for those who care) its made in America

Ivan, depending on how fast mikey can take the pictures tomorrow, ill get them up...STAY tuned!

Beethoven, 8.2 sounds like alot for a full size gun. It will likely make major with the 115 grain bullet TOO!.

my 4 port hybrid 38 super took 7.5 grains to go 1375 fps a flat 8.0 grains made 180 power factor.

just to check and see if my chrono was off, i fired some blazer 9mm 115 grain ammo over it and it went 1255 fps..so the chrono is workin right. http://www.dfwshooters.org/images/HGTripp.jpg

http://www.dfwshooters.org/images/HGTripp2.jpg

Pics per Ivans request

Edited by harmongreer

Ivan, depending on how fast mikey can take the pictures tomorrow, ill get them up...STAY tuned!

Beethoven, 8.2 sounds like alot for a full size gun. It will likely make major with the 115 grain bullet TOO!.

my 4 port hybrid 38 super took 7.5 grains to go 1375 fps a flat 8.0 grains made 180 power factor.

just to check and see if my chrono was off, i fired some blazer 9mm 115 grain ammo over it and it went 1255 fps..so the chrono is workin right.

Loaded to a length of 1.155 to 1.160, 8.2 gr. for major 9 is WAY HIGH. I have loaded 7.5 gr. power pistol with MG 124 jhp at 1.158 oal for my G34 KKM barrel w/comp and they chrono 1440 to 1450 (179 PF)

just to check and see if my chrono was off, i fired some blazer 9mm 115 grain ammo over it and it went 1255 fps..so the chrono is workin right.

Loaded to a length of 1.155 to 1.160, 8.2 gr. for major 9 is WAY HIGH. I have loaded 7.5 gr. power pistol with MG 124 jhp at 1.158 oal for my G34 KKM barrel w/comp and they chrono 1440 to 1450 (179 PF)

how long is the barrel including the threaded part on the glock?

i feel somewhat comforted since im not the only one using less than 8 grains of Power Pistol to make major.

With PowerPistol powder and 124 grain bullets in my gun, i do not need rifle primers..and i think the 9mm major glocks wouldnt be a bad idea.

I just ran some 124gr's with power pistol through my glock w/2 tj holes and SJC comp...

Dang that's loud, the concussion cleared out my sinuses though.

6.6gr under 124gr Gold Dot(what I had on hand)@ 1.150"

Tracked pretty decent, but the concussion messed with my concentration.

I used to run 115s at major in a 4 port 38 super...in confined spaces it was like a flash bang grenade went off!

I dont really notice the concussion with the new gun, im still a little shellshocked after shooting the hybrid gun for a while.

Run them over the chrono and see what you get.

Harmon

Tim, I'm back again, and will try to answer some questions and offer some input on major 9 Glocks.

First, the KKM barrel, including the threaded part, is 0.5" longer than a stock G34 barrel. The stock barrel measured 5.32" and the KKM measured 5.72"

Major 9 loads using Power Pistol have shown absolutely no signs of high pressure, even at a power factor of 180. I have not tried all the possible powders, but in my opinion, Power Pistol is the easiest powder to make major with (without pressure problems), I just don't care for the feel of it, and dot recovery seems a little slower than my favorite load using 7625. The feel of power pistol and dot recovery opinion are based on tests done in my KKM barrel and also in another G34 with a 17L threaded barrel and custom made comp (this one shoots really flat).

DISCLAIMED MODE ON:

WARNING - PRESSURE SIGNS ARE NOT ALWAYS VISIBLE. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY DO NO EXIST. WHEN BUILDING MAJOR 9 LOADS, ALWAYS WORK YOUR WAY UP SLOWLY, DO ACCURATE CHRONO TESTS, AND COMPARE RESULTS WITH AN OPEN MIND.

PRESSURE SIGNS YOU CANNOT SEE: Here's an example of what I am trying to explain. While building major 9 loads, increasing powder by .1 grain increments, I have found the point where the increase in powder is no longer proportional to the increase in velocity. This tells you that you are at the limits for this load. INCREASES IN POWDER CHARGE THAT RESULT IN MINIMAL, AND SOMETIMES REDUCED VELOCITY CHANGES, ARE DEFINITE SIGNS OF CHAMBER PRESSURE INCREASES, EVEN THOUGH THE CASE OR PRIMERS DO NO SHOW THIS. WHEN YOU REACH THIS POINT - STOP!!!!!!

OK, GOT THAT OUT OF MY SYSTEM, NOW I FEEL BETTER.

As to the primers, I intentionally used Fed small pistol primers when developing my major 9 loads, hoping they would show pressure signs quicker. So far, both Power Pistol and 7625 have made major using small pistol primers without showing any distortion at all. I do use small rifle primers for my match ammo.

ONE MORE REMINDER: LOADING MAJOR 9, CRIMP IS CRITICAL AND DIRECTLY RELATED TO CHAMBER PRESSURE. DO NOT OVER CRIMP MAJOR 9 LOADS.

Larry

Edited by LJE

Tim, I'm back again, and will try to answer some questions and offer some input on major 9 Glocks.

First, the KKM barrel, including the threaded part, is 0.5" longer than a stock G34 barrel. The stock barrel measured 5.32" and the KKM measured 5.72"

Major 9 loads using Power Pistol have shown absolutely no signs of high pressure, even at a power factor of 180. I have not tried all the possible powders, but in my opinion, Power Pistol is the easiest powder to make major with (without pressure problems), I just don't care for the feel of it, and dot recovery seems a little slower than my favorite load using 7625. The feel of power pistol and dot recovery opinion are based on tests done in my KKM barrel and also in another G34 with a 17L threaded barrel and custom made comp (this one shoots really flat).

DISCLAIMED MODE ON:

WARNING - PRESSURE SIGNS ARE NOT ALWAYS VISIBLE. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY DO NO EXIST. WHEN BUILDING MAJOR 9 LOADS, ALWAYS WORK YOUR WAY UP SLOWLY, DO ACCURATE CHRONO TESTS, AND COMPARE RESULTS WITH AN OPEN MIND.

PRESSURE SIGNS YOU CANNOT SEE: Here's an example of what I am trying to explain. While building major 9 loads, increasing powder by .1 grain increments, I have found the point where the increase in powder is no longer proportional to the increase in velocity. This tells you that you are at the limits for this load. INCREASES IN POWDER CHARGE THAT RESULT IN MINIMAL, AND SOMETIMES REDUCED VELOCITY CHANGES, ARE DEFINITE SIGNS OF CHAMBER PRESSURE INCREASES, EVEN THOUGH THE CASE OR PRIMERS DO NO SHOW THIS. WHEN YOU REACH THIS POINT - STOP!!!!!!

OK, GOT THAT OUT OF MY SYSTEM, NOW I FEEL BETTER.

As to the primers, I intentionally used Fed small pistol primers when developing my major 9 loads, hoping they would show pressure signs quicker. So far, both Power Pistol and 7625 have made major using small pistol primers without showing any distortion at all. I do use small rifle primers for my match ammo.

ONE MORE REMINDER: LOADING MAJOR 9, CRIMP IS CRITICAL AND DIRECTLY RELATED TO CHAMBER PRESSURE. DO NOT OVER CRIMP MAJOR 9 LOADS.

Larry

What should Major 9 crimp be?

This is a good thread. Got me thinking of trying Power Pistol with a 115 JHP in 38super.

Just decided [today] that even though my hoarded Vectan SP2 shoots flatter with less wiggle in the dot than HS6, it does hit [too] hard and makes more noise than the HS6.

So - I'll lock up the SP2 again & try HS6 vs Power Pistol. Starting load suggestions?