Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Happiness

ErikW

Anybody seen this movie? What the hell is up with the writer/director? It's the most disturbing film I've seen since Requiem for a Dream.

What makes it so disturbing is how it mixes light comedy, dark comedy, tragedy, serious drama, and over-the-top silliness.

This is a "challenging" film. Spanking the Monkey was a "comfortable" film in comparison. Do not see it with your new girlfriend or your parents or your kids. This is some seriously F'ed up shjt.

(Edited by Erik Warren at 5:08 pm on Sep. 4, 2002)

I loved it - saw it when it came out. Todd Salonz (sp) has another one out, on DVD now - Storytelling. Haven't seen it but I heard it was "better" than Happiness. Scary.

Have you seen "Gummo?" I think it's the King of Weird/Unusual. Definitely don't watch with anyone you're not real comfortable with. :) I tried to watch it 3 times (by myself) and had to shut it down each time. Finally, I enlisted a friend, from Ohio who could relate, to watch it with me. We made it all the way through. The scary thing is that it is supposedly about the lives of the folks in Xenia Ohio, and how they were affected by the massive tornado of (about) '74. I grew up basically right down the road.

be

Quote: from Erik Warren

I'm still freaked out by Happiness days later.

freaked out or figuring it out?  That is figuring what it means to you.  The better art is the more we relate to it on an individual basis, analyze what it means, how it relates to you ect (I would hate to write a masters thesis here).  Whether it's a Mapelthorp photograph or a Westerman print (saw a retrospective at the LA museum of contemporary art this weekend, which was well worth it).

the good stuff sticks with us I still think about The pillow Book, or anything by Peter Greenway (sp?), Lost Highway, and I just saw Mulholand Drive this weekend, which I am trying to digest.

I rented Welcome to the Doll House last night. Right away it was recognizable as the same director. Most similar was the constant put-downs, slaps in the face, and kicks in the teeth. Much less disturbing than Happiness, but it had its moments.

I found a review by someone who seems to get it...

http://cooldirectors.imess.net/Todd%20Solo...f_happiness.htm

...and an interview with Todd Solondz...

http://cooldirectors.imess.net/Todd%20Solondz/interview.htm