Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw And Reload

HSMITH

Please let me know if you see anything I can improve on my draws and reloads.

FWIW, I have been shooting IPSC for almost a year now. Draw par time is .8 on the RUReady PC timer, reload is 1.0 on the same timer. My camera seems to have a delay between the video and the sound even though I am only about 10 feet from it in the vids. It looks like I am jumping the timer, but it is on random and reaction time is about .1 as far as I can tell.

I know I am fat, slow and I suck at this game, anything else you see would be appreciated.

draw front.mov

draw side view.mov

reload front .mov]

reload side 1.mov

Edited by HSMITH

Thanks for the comments L2S. One local RO has gigged me for 'creeping' though the rest have not. I developed the positions from vids of the nationals, sectionals and so on. I have been watching a LOT of video. I am not saying what I do is right, wrong or indifrerent.

Up to this point I have only shot local events.

I guess we can add a question: how bad am I creeping and how would you handle it as the RO? I would prefer that it be a secondary line of reply, moving back to thumbs on seams of pants costs me less than .1 seconds.

Many RO let it slide, but as a RO I respect one said to similiar start positions, "If you were wound up any tighter, you'de snap, naturally at sides is naturally at sides."

I tend to agree with that statement.

If you practice from natural/neutral positions you won't be slower if you take the hitch out of the draw.

Those are some fast looking draws and reloads Hsmith :)

On what L2S says: I would also work on drawing from a position a little more "relaxed". I used to start with my weak hand in the same position as you and never had any trouble with it....until the World Shoot :)

One lady RO told me to place my weak hand (well actually she physically put it) in the right place (left side of my body and not the front). Kind of an awkward moment and it made me feel a little uncomfortable starting like that. So I decided to change it for good.

looks plenty fast ... beating the buzzer .... wish I had a cool super power like that :)

i noticed that your mags are coming out at an angle ....so they are not getting out of the way as fast as they could ... if your hitting the old mag a lot with the new one... you might be able to figure out a way to get them to drop faster or at a better angle or hit the release button sooner... just something to think about .

Edited by caspian38

Forgot to mention in the original post, holster is a Blade Tech DOH.

Reloads look pretty nice. Draw is nice too. Someone has been dry firing havent' they cool.gif

Well, yeah, but as far as I know the dryfire Nationals are a couple years out :D Been working with Steve Andersons book, way too many positive remarks here while I was lurking to not buy and use it. It has helped a lot.

Caspian, good eye. I am having problems with the magazines coming out, and I am cramming new mags in on top of the old ones once in a while. I used a mag with 7 dummy rounds in it for the vid to cheat a little, and a full mag -2 rounds for the mag going in. The lighter the mag coming out the more likely a train wreck gets, but I practice at least part of the time with an empty mag after the train wreck happened in a match. I am using a standard STI mag button, and have small hands making a flip/regrip the only way I can get to the button. I want to try a paddle type button and so on, I really don't know if it will help or not. I have put a lot into hitting the button earlier with some progress, I guess I need to keep working on it.

L2S and Spook, I will get the hands back. Thanks!!

If you practice from natural/neutral positions you won't be slower if you take the hitch out of the draw.

In fact, you'll actually move quicker from a relaxed position - your muscle contract more quickly when they start relaxed ;)

In fact, you'll actually move quicker from a relaxed position - your muscle contract more quickly when they start relaxed ;)

The only way I improved my draw times was to start completely relaxed. It was explianed to me by my Neurologist like this. "Energy generation is best demonstrated with a bull whip. The speed at the end of the whip when it reaches it's lash point is so high because the whip is so loose and relaxed. If you don't understand then try to whip-lash with a stiff stick. Muscles work faster when they have room between the fibers to move. When your muscles are already tense there is no room between the fibers required for the "Twitch" movement." This took me a little bit of time to absorb but I began to understand and when I did I dropped .6-.8 secs off of my draws and reloads.

Forgot to mention in the original post, holster is a Blade Tech DOH.

Caspian, good eye. I am having problems with the magazines coming out, and I am cramming new mags in on top of the old ones once in a while. I used a mag with 7 dummy rounds in it for the vid to cheat a little, and a full mag -2 rounds for the mag going in. The lighter the mag coming out the more likely a train wreck gets, but I practice at least part of the time with an empty mag after the train wreck happened in a match. I am using a standard STI mag button, and have small hands making a flip/regrip the only way I can get to the button. I want to try a paddle type button and so on, I really don't know if it will help or not. I have put a lot into hitting the button earlier with some progress, I guess I need to keep working on it.

have you got your mags # ? I have fast mags (drop faster ) and slow mags it helps to keep track of them ... also just a safety thing ... watch your muzzle when you pick up your mags ... your practicing breaking the 180 which is not the best thing to practice!

I would say its mostly a timing issue ... I would not load more than a few rounds in the mag since most reloads are done at the end of a mag. maybe you cold try keeping the mag well more vertical and move your hand more ? even if you never fix the problem ...I doubt your reload speed at this point will matter much ...It looks plenty fast.

i have been using my elbow to pivoting the gun up away from the dropping mag putting the mag well in my line of sight ... and then lowering it onto the new mag as it come up and it seems to work out pretty well... still in the testing faze

best of luck

C38

Edited by caspian38

C38, thanks for the reply. I did a series of videos prior to this where the 180 was all I was looking at, I saw a post here where a shooter was DQ'd during a reload and I do not want any part of that. I am good on the 180.

Mags are numbered, no difference in drop speed between them. All of my mags are Benny Hill 'tuned' and are very consistent in dimensions.

Punching the button and moving the gun up at the same time works great for getting them out ASAP, but I haven't played with it enough to see if that is a technique I want to burn in or not. So far all of my effort has been directed at eliminating motions not absolutely necessary.....

I am working on punching the button earlier and keeping the gun vertical longer right now. I can pull another .2 off the reload time in the vids with a handfull of rounds in the mag being dropped, but I'll be damned if I can get more than 4 or 5 out of 10 at that speed with an empty mag. Hard on basepads, feed lips and fingers when that happens....

Will be watching Jake and TT vids more, by all appearances they are down around .6ish with empty mags. One big thing I noticed with both is that the gun seems to remain vertical until the mag clears the well, I am not doing that. Always something to work on.

One thing E. Grauffel pointed out to all of us who took his class, was during the reload we were pointing the barrel skyward(I noticed you were too)....He made us perform the reload with the barrel staying level, thus always pointing into the berm....his reason was that if you did let one go it would not be launched off the range thus preventing the DQ(apparently not..see below and my retraction of this statement)...Just one of many qreat safe gun handling tips he provided. I would highly recommend his class to any level of shooter. There is lots of one-on-one instruction taylored to your level of ability.

Edited by DrawandDuck

If you let a round go while your reloading - no matter where the barrel is pointing - you get DQ'd.

Yeah, the world champion is most certainly wrong on this one. Rule 10.4.3

More likely MY misunderstandiing than his mistake because he certainly knew the rules of IPSC and USPSA......He was focusing on SAFE gun handling and it is better to launch one into the berm than into the air and off the range.......I was at a match and the shooter had finished enganging the intended targets and started to move out of the box, his gun was still pointing down range and I know it was a AD BUT it struck the target "C" hit and he continued on to finish the stage.....The RO did not stop him. I asked him after the stage what actually happend and he said he was "making up a D hit" thats my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!.... :D:D:D

Edited by DrawandDuck

C38, thanks for the reply. I did a series of videos prior to this where the 180 was all I was looking at, I saw a post here where a shooter was DQ'd during a reload and I do not want any part of that. I am good on the 180.

Just to clarify(make sure we are talking about the same thing ) I was talking about after the reload you bend over and pick up the mag and your gun swings back behind your leg ..breaking the 180 ... on the load your fine... but if your doing that every time you pick up a mag your teaching your muscles to swing the gun down (odds are you would never do it in a match But its something to think about )

this is coming from someone who got DQed on Sunday for breaking the 180 as he ran past a target ! i was on my way to a match win... when someone yelled stop <_< and damned if I couldn't even argue with his call.

keep in mind that both those reloads where done with open guns ... I find that my reload is different between open and limited ( L2S mentioned something about it on Di Vita's post or I would have never noticed.) I turn my limited a lot more but i still keep the mags dropping straight down.

I would like to see some limited Gm's post reloads ...see if it is a normal thing .

Edited by caspian38