Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Excuses

tightloop

Man, do I get tired of seeing athelets put on a sub par performance and everyone rush to their side and proclaim any number of obtuse factors that was the downfall of the performance on the day in question...the media, other players, announcers, coaches, close competition, burnout, ....

DAMN, can't people just hold up their hand and say that they were not as prepared as they needed to be and couldn't get it done..I am not asking them to tell all and proclaim they were in an alcohol induced stupor, or a controlled substance haze, but that they did not train hard enough, weren't mentally prepared, or just got beat by a better performance...

Crap...what has happened to self accountability...has it totally disappeared? Guess So... :angry:

I'm still trying to come up with an excuse for my lack of performance at the Florida Open, alas, to no avail. I have none. Zip. Nada. I know, I know, I'm as baffaled as the next guy. Any one have any good excuses out there for sale or rent?

I'll check back after practice.... ;)

Well TL, then you'll love this one. I was watching snowboarding saturday morning and the girl in front went over a jump and decided to showboat a bit and fell - making her the first loser. What really blew me away was the announcers actually stating that she was showboating and maybe next time she should keep her head in the race for the whole race!

I'm still trying to come up with an excuse for my lack of performance at the Florida Open, alas, to no avail. I have none. Zip. Nada. I know, I know, I'm as baffaled as the next guy. Any one have any good excuses out there for sale or rent?

It was...the tangerines!!

Seriously -- it was obvious, except for a stage or two, you weren't having the match you are clearly capable of, and I never saw you once lose your sense of humor, blame the weather/food/gun/RO's/stage/etc and/or become surly and discouraged. :)

Although I think on the baseball stage, you could blame your friend on the other squad, for giving you a dot-gunner's stage plan. <grin>

It was...the tangerines!!

Seriously -- it was obvious, except for a stage or two, you weren't having the match you are clearly capable of, and I never saw you once lose your sense of humor, blame the weather/food/gun/RO's/stage/etc and/or become surly and discouraged. :)

Although I think on the baseball stage, you could blame your friend on the other squad, for giving you a dot-gunner's stage plan. <grin>

That does it. I hate tangerines! :P

On Baseball, DirtyPool gave me great advice on how to shoot the stage. I just added 30 seconds when the gun jammed on the tangerine juice.... :D I guess I should blame Will for writing that article about not cleaning guns, and the ammo manufacturer, and....and....

and I hate not preparing to do as well as I think I should. Thanks for the kind words Boo,

it was a great match, a great squad and a great learning experience. Next year let's both beat Leon.... :D

"...or just got beat by a better performance..."
This is usually what I have to admit is the reason for my own failures in shooting. At which point I examine THEIR shooting and see what THEY did that allowed/caused them to win. If you can't lick 'em, join 'em. <_<:)

Most things are no longer about love. They are about money, fame, power.

Even the "amateur" athletes have become polluted by this lust for money and fame. We can't pay "amateur" athletes but they can have endorsement contracts worth millions.

You can't say 'I blew it' because the sponsors will hear that and stop sponsoring you. But if the snow was too fast/slow/shallow/deep and the sun was too bright/dim, the light was too sharp/flat, and so on maybe the sponsor will be stupid enough to keep writing checks.

Just watched the press conference with the two US speed skaters. I am apparently no longer allowed to watch the Olympics in my house due to endangering of the TV and scaring the dog with my screaming and yelling. Both of them should be tossed from the Olympic team, their passports and citizenship revoked, and their medals returned to the IOC with a note of apology. They aren't Americans...they are a$$holes.

In watching Women's Curling the other day, the announcer made a comment that Denmark had only one entry in the Winter Olympics. It was in Women's Curling. It seems that Denmark grades thier competitors that want to participate in world events such as the Olympics and if they feel that the teams or individuals cannot perform to "World Class" standards, they don't send them. Period.

I would guess that you will see less excuse making from teams of that caliber.

Good for them.

dj

Edited by dajarrel

Once upon a time there was a fellow who wanted to be a swimmer and go to the Olympics. He had no pool, no coach, no swimming instruction. He learned to swim by reading about it. He went to the games as his countries only competitor and struggled to finish his event. He finished minutes behind the other swimmers. I do not remember his name or country (maybe this should be a win a book question) but I do remember the standing ovation he recieved when he finished. I would not think he made excuses either.

Edited by AikiDale

I remember that guy too! No clue about his name or country though.

And remember Eddie the Eagle the British Ski Jumper?

Those people are doing it because they love it.

I used to work with a guy that was part of one of the Jamacian Bobsled teams. They worked their butts off training with this sled on wheels because there are just as many bobsled tracks in North Idaho as there are in Jamacia. He did it because it was fun and he got to go to the Olympics and some of the Cup events. He paid all his own expenses except for the uniforms that were provided by the Jamacian govt.

I checked and I guess he has retired because I didn't see his name on the list for this year. Cool guy.

DAMN, can't people just hold up their hand and say that they were not as prepared as they needed to be and couldn't get it done..

Crap...what has happened to self accountability...has it totally disappeared?

But, I'm a VICTIM!!! :P