Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dragon

EricW

Just a little heads up here.  If you have any thoughts about going to see Red Dragon, put them out of your mind now.  (Seeing RD was *not* my idea, BTW.)  This is one of the worst scripts I've ever seen outside of an ABC after-school special.  To top it off, Edward Norton couldn't make the cut as a stand-in for a high school play.  The rest of the actors did a fine job - as long as they weren't speaking - which says nothing about their talent as no one on this earth could act his or her way around such awful, wretched dialogue.  

Want to see a compelling version of an adaptation of the same book?  Rent "Manhunter" - it's a Michael Mann flick.  It has that great Michael Mann "snap" to it.  

E

Put me down in the Manhunter camp as well.  It's a great film.  Two of the first movies I bought on DVD were Mann's Manhunter and Heat.  I saw Red Dragon and didn't hate it as much as Eric did.  Ed Norton and occasionally insipid dialogue aside, the movie scared me on a couple of occasions.  If you're only gonna see one of these movies, it should be Manhunter.  If you're gonna see both, then give Red Dragon a whirl too AFTER you've seen Manhunter.

Brian,

I just discovered that it has been re-released as part of the Hannibal/Red Dragon hype machine.  (At least something good came out of it...)  I found it at the local Blockbuster last night in both DVD and VHS.  Now I just have to stalk the store until the surplus DVD's go on sale...

;-)

• 1 month later...