Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Shield King Type Ambi Safties

cbrussell

I am hoping one of the gunsmiths can give me a hand.

I like the feel of the Ed Brown safeties, but I need a thumb shield. Frame mounted thumb shields work OK, but I like the Swenson safety integral thumb shield better. However, they are a real b*&^% to fit, I would like a larger farther reaching shield, plus I do not like the way the ambi pieces are held together. So here is my desire: an Ed brown set of stainless ambi safeties, with integral thumb shields, using the Kings type of sear pin dovetail system to hold both sides together, modified to allow their use on an STI frame. (I think the dovetail cut would need to be machined out the bottom so that the safety could be installed from the top down) Of course, I would bow to any superior ideas concerning these parts.

Would anyone be interested in such a project? Any suggestions/ideas?

I am hoping one of the gunsmiths can give me a hand.

I like the feel of the Ed Brown safeties, but I need a thumb shield. Frame mounted thumb shields work OK, but I like the Swenson safety integral thumb shield better. However, they are a real b*&^% to fit, I would like a larger farther reaching shield, plus I do not like the way the ambi pieces are held together. So here is my desire: an Ed brown set of stainless ambi safeties, with integral thumb shields, using the Kings type of sear pin dovetail system to hold both sides together, modified to allow their use on an STI frame. (I think the dovetail cut would need to be machined out the bottom so that the safety could be installed from the top down) Of course, I would bow to any superior ideas concerning these parts.

Would anyone be interested in such a project? Any suggestions/ideas?

CB, the swensons used to be crap but they revitalized it recently. It is a better part now. I got this straight from Dan Bedell. I am also a distributor for them now.

The part is definitely different, now. The shield used to have the patent number on it - no patent number, now. The paddles are more contoured from the beginning. Also, no pits or casting flaws - just heavily bead blasted. A little time w/ a buffing wheel, and away you go. Here's a set my lovely lady got for me for Christmas to throw on my skinny gun....

post-4828-1140409786.jpg

Edited by XRe