Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 Grain Fmj Bullets For 9mm Major?

surfmaster

Hi Everyone,

I am running out of 124 grain FMJ MG bullets and I was thinking about going with a slightly heavier bullet. Montana Gold has a 147 grain FMJ bullet. They also have a 130 grain FMJ bullet but with a 0.356" diameter over the regular 0.355" diameter for the 124s and 147s.

Has anyone used the 147 grains to make major in 9mm and how does it compare to the lighter bullets? Anyone tried the 130 grain 0.356" diameter FMJs?

In addition, how does the 124 grain FMJ bullet compare to its counterpart in CMJ configuration? How about in JHP configuration? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hi Flexmoney,

Yes, I am talking about a 9mm major open gun. It is a shorty with a commander length slide (cut down from a government model), a 4.75" Sti bull barrel and a new four-port compensator with the muzzle plate slanted at a 45 degree angle (when you look at the side of the gun) as opposed to being perpendicular to the ground.

Edited by surfmaster

with the 147 grian bullets, youll likely run out of case capacity before you make major...or your gonna have to run them out LONG...

that being said, i think you would want to shoot some of them side by side and do objective tests(like a bill drill from low ready) to see if your load gets you a better score.

many time a load that feels better doesnt really translate to better scores.

I loaded lazer cast 147's with 5.7grs Alliant power pistol out to 1.180 in my para with briley two port comp they chronoed at 1130 the data from alliant had them out of a four inch gun at 1095 with a min OAL of 1.140 gun ran smooth as butter.