Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buckshot On Steel, What Works?

Guninhand

Hi folks,

I'm reloading 12ga hulls with #1 buckshot (.30 inch diameter) and I want the optimum for knocking down IPSC plates and poppers. So what is better, a load of 9 pellets, or 12??

If I use 9, I'll have less recoil. If I use 12, perhaps a better chance at downing the further plates, but with more recoil.

Should I make up both, 9 pellet loads for close and 12 for farther out? :unsure:

Gun has 20 in. barrel with full choke (screw on, can be changed)

I have very good results with #1. I would reload these, but most of the suppliers in my area don't carry any shot other than 6, 7.5,8.

I've also been thinking about trying #2 and BB for an even denser pattern that will be more tolerant of a partial hit than 00 would be.

Are you shooting in the US or ?

Most matches here restrict maximum shot size to #4, althought I've head of a few people using 00 buck also.

#4 will take down just about anything, but I usually end up with 1 1/8oz of #7 1/2 or #8 (Win. AA Super Sport or Super Handicap) has worked well for me. YMMV.

We have shot poppers at long range on a buck-shot specified stage (york PA). I used regular 00 buck from Germany (wolf brand I believe). "Wolf" is just a name and they sell ammo made ian many countries. Never used buck on a plate. All our local clubs specily birdshot #7 or smaller for plates.

I'm pretty much stuck to #1 buck because I'm making my own buckshot from a Do-It mold and wheelweights, 11 pellets a throw. The patterns are reasonably uniform. Also the pellets self-arrange in the shot cup, so loading by hand is not frustrating.

I was hoping there would be a consensus on wether 9 pellets or 12 would be the better choice. I'm shooting in Canada and for local matches almost anything goes. If someone knows of a safety issue, such as these pellets being prone to bounce-back instead of disintegrating, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I'm pretty much stuck to #1 buck because I'm making my own buckshot from a Do-It mold and wheelweights, 11 pellets a throw. The patterns are reasonably uniform. Also the pellets self-arrange in the shot cup, so loading by hand is not frustrating.

I was hoping there would be a consensus on wether 9 pellets or 12 would be the better choice. I'm shooting in Canada and for local matches almost anything goes. If someone knows of a safety issue, such as these pellets being prone to bounce-back instead of disintegrating, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Years ago, J Michael Plaxco swore by #4 buckshot loads on poppers if the club had no restriction. If you're shooting bowling pins, 00 buck, otherwise bounce-back is very possible.

For wide open poppers I like to use Low Recoil 00 Buck with a modified choke. For clusters of steel where the targets are overlapping I tend to use 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz of 7.5 shot with a more open choke like a Skeet tube. This of course asumes you don't need a different choke for the rest of the targets.

OH YEA!!!! SmokeShawn has it right!!!! #4 buck. Federal used to make a 34 pellet load in reduced recoil that was death on steel!! Winchester XX still makes a nice 34 pellet # 4 buck. NOTHING works as well as #4 buck on steel!, but you didn't hear it from me......it was Shawn!@!!