Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Am I Doing Wrong?

JFD

I've got 4 mags for my new G35 with Dawson extensions/springs and the #6 Glock followers. I've left them loaded for a few days, then filled and emptied them a few times, yet I can't get 20 functional rounds in there yet.

3 of them I can CRAM the 20th round in, but it's not close to reloadable. The other I just changed over last night so it's still really tight.

It seems like everyone here is getting 20 reloadable rounds with this setup.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to modify the follower? Is it something that will happen over time? Clip a coil off the spring?

I know it took 3 weeks for my Para mags to comfortably hold 20 rounds and be easily reloadable (almost easily reloadable with 21), so I figure these Glock mags might be similar.

On another note, anyone have opinions on the +2 Glock extension? I bought 2 new mags with these extensions installed for the heck of it. I get 16 rounds :( All I'm worried about is if there are any problems associated with these extensions. If I end up using this gun as a house gun, I figured I'd use those mags.

I did find out the Dawson ICE magwell works with Dawson extensions(duh), the Glock +2 extensions, and the standard base pads.

I've got 4 mags for my new G35 with Dawson extensions/springs and the #6 Glock followers. I've left them loaded for a few days, then filled and emptied them a few times, yet I can't get 20 functional rounds in there yet.

3 of them I can CRAM the 20th round in, but it's not close to reloadable. The other I just changed over last night so it's still really tight.

It seems like everyone here is getting 20 reloadable rounds with this setup.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to modify the follower? Is it something that will happen over time? Clip a coil off the spring?

I know it took 3 weeks for my Para mags to comfortably hold 20 rounds and be easily reloadable (almost easily reloadable with 21), so I figure these Glock mags might be similar.

I'm running a G24 with Dawson basepads and innards. When I started I could only get 18 in each one. Now I can get 19 in about half of them. I just load the chamber and live with 20 in the gun.

Andy C.

Ditch the dawson extensions and get some arrendondo, I can easily fit 20 and have not had a problem with them

That is not my experience.

Paper Killer, do you have the new (tapered) mags with the #6 followers?

I have both Dawson and Arrendondo extensions.

I had started a thread on the "new" tapered mags and the #6 followers.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...topic=24168&hl=

Rereading that thread, it seems some are missing the fact that the mags are now different. :(

Put about 15-16 in it, push down on the top round with your thumb and slap the base against your other palm HARD. You should feel the top round drop well down into the mag. Do this for the last couple rounds. Let us know how it works out for you.

Ditch the dawson extensions and get some arrendondo, I can easily fit 20 and have not had a problem with them

That is not my experience.

Paper Killer, do you have the new (tapered) mags with the #6 followers?

I have both Dawson and Arrendondo extensions.

I had started a thread on the "new" tapered mags and the #6 followers.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...topic=24168&hl=

Rereading that thread, it seems some are missing the fact that the mags are now different. :(

Flex

I have the No.6 followers, which I believe what comes with the new glock mags. I can easily fit 20 in the mag and one in the pipe.The only problem that I can recall was due to a bullet that wasn't sized all the way down and wouldn't fit in the barrel, but that was due to not chamber gauging the rounds, after other than that its been flawless, knocking on wood. lol

Pk

HSMITH

I've done that several times with various numbers of rounds in the gun. No joy. It is something I'm going to do as part of my mag prep.

Flex

If 19+1 is what I can expect with these mags, then so be it. I didn't know there was a difference between pre and post-ban. That's no different than the S_I shooter's mag capacity is it? I want reliable mags, so 19+1 is good.

This gun is going to be my trigger control trainer and backup Limited gun. It's true goal in life is to be my wife's minor PF Limited gun once she gets tired of reloading all the time or L-10 is killed off.

Paper Killer

There's no way I'm ditching 4 Dawson extensions for anything made by Arrendondo. Appreciate the advice, but our brand loyalty is totally opposite B)

Anyone and everyone

Another question. I see no reason why I can't get rid of the stock "tabs" on the base of the mags. While the Dawson extensions work with them, they seem like they'd work a lot better without the tabs. I have no intention of putting the factory base pads back on, so I should be able to slice or file the tabs off. Right or wrong? The Dawson detent should keep the "gate" closed just like my Para mags. Actually the tab on the "gate" side is all I guess needs to be removed.

I tried a search and couldn't find any of these questions asked before, so I'm going to figure I must be not be quite right...

Thanks to everyone for the help.

JFD,

I've never found the need to take the tabs off with the Dawson pads.

PK, I'll have to try my my pads again. There has got to be a reason we are getting different results. (Can you post some pictures?)

Sure what exactly do you want pictures of and I will pull out the trusty ol digital camera

JFD

Sorry if I came off harsh there, about ditching the dawson's,but I have no problems switching over to Dawson basepads if I were to get an extra round or so. I guess I have been fortunate to have success with the arrendondo base pads

JFD,

I've never found the need to take the tabs off with the Dawson pads.

PK, I'll have to try my my pads again. There has got to be a reason we are getting different results. (Can you post some pictures?)

I've been using the Arrendondo pads for a year now and have been getting 20 rounds in without a problem.

With the Arrendondo base pads, new tapered mags and the #6 followers I can only get like 18-19 in there. Now with the #5 followers and the tapered mags I can get the full 20 rounds in, but the follwers don't sit in there as solid, as with the older mag bodies. I hate the fact that with new components that I can't duplicate my set-up! I thought about trying out the Dawson's base pads for the extra mag weight. I use their sights and have been thinking about getting their magwell. But I would hate to lose round capacity for the trouble!

Edited by Rocket35

PAPER KILLER

Hell, I was worried my comment would seem harsh :o I've spent so much money on this gun so far that there's no way I could justify more extensions. I took no offense to your comment at all and appreciate your opinion.

I have a minor "problem" with Arrendondo in general, so I've been thinking of giving Grams a try.

Flex

Maybe it will get easier over time as the tab wears, but right now I'm sort of fighting the tab when I try to open the gate. Any reason not to get rid of it? Doesn't seem to affect how the extension locks onto the mag.

Any comment on the glock +2 extensions? I've heard bad things, but don't trust the sources. Looking to use them for the "house gun" role more than anything. I can convert them to regular factory mags easy enough if they aren't trustworthy.

The best thing about this glock and the mods I'm making is it allows me to forget about some of the stress from my job. The only downside is I've spent more on the rig and accessories than I did on the gun. Also I haven't been able to shoot this gun nearly as much as I want, so I have too much time to think of questions or imagine problems.

I can't tell you how many times I switched out the factory striker spring with a reduced power spring last night. Left the reduced spring in because the trigger felt sooooo good. Will shoot a few hundred rounds tomorrow in the pouring rain if necessary.

Is there a test for the striker? Like how far will it shoot a pencil or something? Again, more paranoia from not enough actual shooting :wacko:

Edited by JFD

JFD

You might try selling them and maybe trying maybe Taylor Freelance base pads, if you haven't modified the Dawsons, or just use the Dawsons for L-10. Thats a decision you are going to have to make. I understand you have spent alot of money on this gun, but then again we all have in this sport, some more than others. You just need to get a reliable setup that satisfies what your looking for.

As far as the lightned striker spring, I am going to have to argue with you again, lol. The trigger is ohh soo smooth, but you may come across a problem with light primer strikes. If you reload you may want to use Federal primers, it might help. But I have tried the lightned striker spring and it was good for about 400 rounds than I would have rounds that wouldn't go bang, and thats all you need when you are shooting a match. I have heard some people say they have no problems with them, maybe its my gun. If it were me and this setup worked I would definatley not leave the gun cocked, in other words not have the spring under any more tension until it is time to shoot. I just think the spring is about weak is it could be, without further weakening it. just my .02 cents.

PK

I'm not going to argue with you since I have the same feeling myself. Is a roughly 1 lb drop in trigger pull worth the risk of a light primer strike? I think not, but haven't shot the gun with the light spring to know what it's going to do. Will check it out tomorrow, but my "gut" tells me to put the factory spring back in. It will make me feel better and be just as good or better for trigger control training.

Dawson extensions we can argue about ;) I've been using them in my Para Limited gun and at this point anything from Dawson screams "I'm reliable as hell" to me. I have had a chance to test these extensions and they make me feel warm and fuzzy. I might try a Taylor extension though since I'm a mag pig. I've got 10 mags set up with Dawson extensions for my Para and don't know if I'm finished buying mags for it yet :wacko: I try not to think I have $1K just in mags. There could be another ban next month for all I know and I want to be ready this time.

The money isn't really an issue, it's just that my shipping guys asked me today how much I've spent (all my stuff gets shipped to work since I basically live there :angry: ). A rough total ended up being more than I paid for the gun. A minor, yet not totally unexpected result. Things like the Ghost holster/773 race rig tend to add up fast. At least I didn't get another Guga Ribas, as I think the Ghost is almost as good and my wife is using a Ghost right now and I think she shouldn't have to deal with another type of holster if or when she transitions to this gun.

My shipping manager is cool. I've got him interested in shooting and he treats my gun related purchases with special care and he's even got the UPS guy in the loop. I'm not the only one to get excited when a package arrives from Shooters Connection, Brownells, etc... I'm going to let him use the glock to try USPSA as soon as I can get him to the range for some instruction. He was pissed TopGlock took so long to get my order to me; probably more pissed than me when they totally ignored the THE brass magwell I ordered from them (wasn't billed for it and it wasn't mentioned in the paperwork - Glad I already received the ICE magwell from Chuck). They won't get another order from me.

OK, enough talk about the gun. Time to get to some shooting. I'm going to get my gear ready now :)