Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot It Dry?

mike_pinto

Helmut speaks the truth. I run Mobil 1 5W 30 year round with no failures ( 0 to 110 degrees F.) not a light coat either there is always excess that blows through the system when the gun is fouled, also makes the bolt group clean up much quicker. As always this is my experience yours may differ.

Benny, I fell for that once. Went to Port Isabel for some redfishing between Christmas and New Years 5-6 years ago. North wind blew so hard the Laguna Madre looked like a draiinage ditch. Snowed of and on for a day and a half and never got above freezing. Finally got out to fish on day four. We did get a few reds that were too cold to fight much. Next year we opted for Islamorada.

As to the cold weather lube, Gun Butter works well. Very thin and stays in place. It's a synthetic base as well, so won't burn up either.

For the AR pattern rifles and shotguns, moly grease in the summer, and CLP in winter. Works fine. The synthetic motor oils may be better.

The pistol gets Slide Glide until the temps go below 0C, then I go to CLP there too.

Billski

For extreme cold like like -20 -50 degrees. The rule is dry, or dry lube applied during a disassemble. Seems actions like to freeze in that kind of cold weather. Also never bring your gun inside, leave in the cold.

Here is a good link for Cold weather operations Coldn Weather weapons maintenance

Bottom line, NEVER run it dry, lube with LAW (Artic Weapons lube) if in the military and available; for everyone else, use synthetic motor oil in 0w or 5w weight. Worst case, a very light coat of CLP.

The info about the weapon getting condensation on it is worth noting. I don't recommend leaving your weapon outside in the cold, but insure you wipe it down after it reaches the inside temp, probably about 30minutes to an hour.

For extreme cold like like -20 -50 degrees. The rule is dry, or dry lube applied during a disassemble. Seems actions like to freeze in that kind of cold weather. Also never bring your gun inside, leave in the cold.
IMO it would be better for your gun to use a multi-viscosity motor oil such as 0W30 or 5W30 for cold weather. 0W30 should allow your gun to function in any weather you can tolerate.