Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Powder For Both 9mm (minor) And 45 Acp?

North

Hello,

Help me out with picking a powder for both 9mm minor for production in a CZ75B and for L-10/SS for a Springfield 1911. 125 grain lead for 9mm and 230 grn lead for 45ACP

I currently load for the 1911 with red-dot and 230 grain lead. I looking to get into production and just becouse I'm lazy and cheap would like to use the same powder for both calibers.

Thanks.

red dot will work.

clays will be cleaner in both the 45 and the 9mm...9mm minor loads will be right on the edge of the power factor with max load of CLAYS and a 125 grain lead bullet.

on a classical note, bullseye works good for these two applications.

I would first vote for W231 for both. Extremely accurate in 9x19 plus you can run it down to 100PF and it will run a properly sprung gun all day. It is perennial favorite in .45acp as well.

CLAYS is incredible in .45acp, but not worth a crap in 9x19 with lead bullets, and you are getting close on pressure with jacketed bullets at minor(esp. heavier bullets). I would have to say a close second is Titegroup and VV320. They are about the same burn and feel wise, and accurate as well, but VV320 is more expensive. Depends on what you want. I dont worry about the price of the powder if I find a load that is incredibly accurate in my gun, so get some and try them all. We all have half empty bottles of powder underneath our benches.... ;)

North,

Good timing!! ;)

I just worked up a 9mm Reddot load..since I have a crap load not doing anything. FYI, it's the old formula - about 12 years old. The new formula is supposed to be cleaner. But this load is really clean.

It fills a lot of the case which is good. The SD reflects that.

124 Berry plated FP

4.2 gr Reddot

WSP

OAL = 1.09

Av = 1080 fps (134 pf)

SD = 7

Accuracy with stock G34 bbl - EXCELLENT!!!!! 2 - 2.5" freestyle at 25 yrds :D

I've used N320 and this load feels the same or a little softer.

Tightgroup and N330 are options too. N330 barks and TG is dirty.