Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Ice Heavy Vs Standard

TimWarner

Anyone have a recommendation for heavy vs standard?

I use a brass THE magwell now, but I don't have the weight on hand. I think the heavy is heavier, and light is quite a bit lighter.

Also, is the only difference the size of the "slug"? If so, I could try and get a heavy and standard slug and try both. I just don't want to drop 200 on magwells just to test.

I shoot GSSF right now, but I'm starting USPSA this spring. Heavy would be nice for GSSF, but I'm not sure if it would slow me down noticeably from the holster.

I think I posted the weights of the Dawson wells in another thread. If memory serves, the standard is 2.8 ozs. and the heavy is 5.5. The only difference is the slug component. Don't know if Dawson would sell just the slug piece or not.

Edited by cpty1

I think I posted the weights of the Dawson wells in another thread. If memory serves, the standard is 2.8 ozs. and the heavy is 5.5. The only difference is the slug component. Don't know if Dawson would sell just the slug piece or not.

Dawson will sell just the slug, if you call them and ask nicely.

I broke down an ordered the light version from Chuck. Already have a brass THE magwell on order, so I can compare the two. I'm pretty positive even though I ordered from Chuck a week after I ordered from "those other guys", I'll get the ICE first.

Love the one I have on my Para.

Right now I'm just shooting GSSF, and my biggest complaint about the solid brass magwell is the weight below my hand.

To a certain extent it will tame recoil by adding weight, but it also adds a counterbalance below my grip, which adversely affects how quick I get the muzzle down back on target. I think it may tame flip more to have most of the weight in my grip and not below my hand.

Also, with all the practice reloads I've been doing lately(I'm set on making a smash debut in open USPSA) I like having an air bag for my botched reloads. The plastic insert should save my poor mags when I botch reloads. Not that it happens too frequently, but sometimes I get excited and hit home a little too hard and catch the edge of the magwell.