Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi all:

I need to locate a set of tree gaffs. I have a tree in my yard I need to top and get out. I was going to buy a set but didn't realize the cost of them. While not as expensive as the open guns I hate to drop that change on basically a one time tool.

So.... Do any of you have a set of tree climbing gaffs I can borrow for about a week? I would gladly pay shipping both ways and throw some in for your effort.

In case you don't know what they are here is a link to a set

http://www.cspoutdoors.com/kleintreclim.html

Thanks Steven

standles@cox.net

Absolutely right!

I have known pros that got hurt doing that work and they "knew what they were doing".

I did it precisely once and nearly got badly hurt, might have been killed.

I now just pay people to do it. The good ones also clean up after themselves. You can sit on the porch and drink a beer or reload while they do the nasty stuff.

If I can't reach it from a ladder I call the tree guy.

Yeah I know but this tree is staright up with only a few limbs. No big deal. I wouldn't even limb it except for the possibility of a limb hitting my screened enclosure. I did talk to a service but they wanted 600.00 and 2 weeks before they could get to it.

The reason I was looking at gaffs is because I already have the tree loop and harness. If I can't find gaffs I will most likely use the climbing tree stand.

I admit your advice is good. If you want you can come hold my beer while I limb the tree :)

Edited by standles

Yeah I know but this tree is staright up with only a few limbs. No big deal. I wouldn't even limb it except for the possibility of a limb hitting my screened enclosure. I did talk to a service but they wanted 600.00 and 2 weeks before they could get to it.

The reason I was looking at gaffs is because I already have the tree loop and harness. If I can't find gaffs I will most likely use the climbing tree stand.

I admit your advice is good. If you want you can come hold my beer while I limb the tree :)

Well you may start to fall in a arc, but by the time you hit the ground you will be going staright down. Good luck.-----Larry

I climbed / trimmed a big tree not too long ago using my rock climbing gear and ropes and it still scared me way more than a sketchy piece of rock. Not sure why, maybe I just don't trust random, uninspected tree parts to hold me.

I have confidence that you can do it...I remember the time that I volunteered to cut down 8 trees for my neighbor, cause I had a chain saw and "knew" what I was doing and even though he was paying me a 100 a tree he was still saving bundles of money...

All went well thru the first 5 trees and then I started on the one 2 feet from the corner of his garage...an oak about 20 inches in diameter...got the limbs cut off and the tree topped out in good shape...then bucked the front of the tree so it would fall parallel with the driveway when I back cut the buck....

The damn tree swiveled during the back cut and fell onto his garage roof. Embarassment and my insurance company put me out of the tree cutting business after that.... :D