Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Grandmaster

mmcnx2

Well after a alot of looking I'm getting ready to buy a Grandmaster. I just can not wait the 6-12 months for a full custom that the major builders need.

My first question is will I be sorry for buying a 'stock' race gun?

The spec sheet says 38 super, I understand there is a difference between super and super comp casings, However, does it make a difference which one you have from a competitive standpoint.

Should I be concerned about reliablity out of box, I'm a long way away from a smith if I need something tuned?

Any thing else I should add to my concern list?

Thanks for all the help.

My first question is will I be sorry for buying a 'stock' race gun?

The answer is - it depends. In general, a factory gun isn't going to be built with as much TLC as a custom gun. You may also encounter more "early life" tweaking issues w/ a factory gun.

My recommendation would be to consider buying it through Dawson, and spend the extra $150 or to get them to work it over before it comes to you. I'm told this is money well spent to insure that the gun runs right for you from day 1.

The spec sheet says 38 super, I understand there is a difference between super and super comp casings, However, does it make a difference which one you have from a competitive standpoint.

Both can run great or terrible, depending on how well the gun is built. The only fit difference between the two is the extractor - you need a slightly different setup (of course, my race gun w/ an AFTEC .38 Super extractor yanks out SC cases just fine...).

The reason why SuperComp came to be was mainly to get rid of the semi-rim on the .38 Super case, allowing for more reliable feeding from the magazine. The semi-rims tend to stack in the extractor grooves in the rounds below them, and can lead to "nose down" jams, if your mag springs and/or recoil spring have weakened over time. Keep the springs fresh, and you're Ok. SuperComp gives you more tolerance, there - seemingly, quite a bit.

Also, the SuperComp cases tend to last a little bit longer and be a little bit stronger. But, at current 165PF Major, they both last longer than you can keep the cases, typically, so... ;)

Should I be concerned about reliablity out of box, I'm a long way away from a smith if I need something tuned?

Maybe. See above ;)

Any thing else I should add to my concern list?

Consider looking at a TruBor, too. It's $600 or so less, and is basically the same gun...

Have you ever shot/competed with an open gun? If yes, how many different versions of open? shorty,full size, 9 or super ? Maybe try several different guns before dumping the cash on something you're not sure about.........

DaG

Something to maybe consider from the STI web site FAQ's page:

Q. Why does my new TruBor not cycle properly?

A. As you know, STI guns are fit very precisely. Because most purchasers of this model intend to use it in IPSC competition, shooting major, we factory test them with approximately 170 power factor ammunition. Seldom does factory ammunition meet this criteria, and frequently match hand loads do not either. We recommend that hand loaded ammunition at about 175 power factor be used during a "break in" period. This may take 100 - 500 rounds. Many purchasers have simply used 9X23 factory ammunition during this period.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. Why does my new "GrandMaster" not exhibit the same symptoms?

A. Part of our service on this model includes providing a "sight in" target and firing until "broken in".

I'd think about the Trubor Competitor - buy it from Brazos or Dawson and they can tune the gun and the mags for a reasonable price. Call them & see the wait time & fee for that.

Then do the break-in yourself. Trust me - new to Open, you won't know the difference between 175 factor ammo and 165, slow powder vs fast - it'll all look good to you.

I'd think about the Trubor Competitor - buy it from Brazos or Dawson and they can tune the gun and the mags for a reasonable price. Call them & see the wait time & fee for that.

Then do the break-in yourself. Trust me - new to Open, you won't know the difference between 175 factor ammo and 165, slow powder vs fast - it'll all look good to you.

i have a trubor competitor i bought factory stock from shooters connection,i agree with eric let them get the gun and mags the heart of the gun!up and running for you.i did it the other way and it took a while to make things work if your not a decent tinker guy it will make you crazy!

Thanks for the feedback about getting the GM from one of the smiths that can 'tune' it. Unfortantely both of the big name guys do not have one so it would be 12 weeks from STI and then another 4-8 from them. One told me August the other June, both much to late to use this summer. At that point I could have a full custom by Jan of 2007.

What to do, what to do :unsure:

Thanks for the feedback about getting the GM from one of the smiths that can 'tune' it. Unfortantely both of the big name guys do not have one so it would be 12 weeks from STI and then another 4-8 from them. One told me August the other June, both much to late to use this summer. At that point I could have a full custom by Jan of 2007.

I would give Benny a call at Triangle Shooting Sports and see what time frame he could build you a gun in. Great smith and good pricing.....

Triangle Shooting Sports

10837 Leopard Street

Corpus Christi, TX 78410

361-241-1091 phone

361-241-1466 fax

email@triangleshootingsports.com

I bought a used Grandmaster from PaulW and it was the best open gun I've ever owned. Of course it had already been broken in, trigger worked over and barrel ported.

If you like the "look" of the Grandmaster then by all means get one. But like several have suggested, you can get a Brazos SC or even a Bedell with a short wait period.

To answer your question whether or not you would be sorry for buying a stock gun? My short answer is yes, because you will most likely spend even more $$$ getting it the way you like it. :)

Buy a good used one? :huh:

+1 on that.

Also you might do well by shopping in some of the various IPSC/USPSA Club's web-sites, in their Classifieds sections. You will probably find a variety of open guns available for "instant acquisition" from almost new to well used but serviceable. Also visit some more of the Custom Pistolsmiths web sites from those who post here, one of them is bound to meet your time table or even know of a customer with a good gun for sale.

As you have noticed many of the "new" open guns require a goodly amount of ammo through them while breaking in or working up a load, and by the time they are just in that "ready honed" condition you might already consider them a used gun. :lol:

You mention that you are not near any custom 'smiths. That in itself is a good reason to purchase a gun that has had all the kinks out by either the building smith, the re-tweaking factory seller 'smith, or a good used gun that fits the bill. Shop around some more, you got nothing much to loose. ;)

YOu at least found the right place to ask questions. I have ben shooting 16 years and the help located in the Forum is the best.

If you dont have a full reloading set-up a GM gun is kind of silly

If you do not now what to ask for ... thin you still do not know what you want.

What will you do with the Grand Master?? is it for IPSC or ICOR or...Steel

The ICOR is a trick question becuase ICOR is Revolver matches.

The USED gun from someone on the forum with a reference that will help you tune a load that the gun likes to run on. is the best thing to do. Get a good used gun.

Do you buy a suit at Sears? :o

A GM from STI in nice but it will not hold its value like one from Dave Dawson or Bendel or Benny, or A -Z

You end up being best friends with the guy that builds your gun. ;)

My gun is 5 years old and I would not take twice what I paid for it new built by Tony Kidd :wub:

Edited by AlamoShooter

Spend a little more and purchase a semi custom or if you can afford get a full custom open gun. These gunsmiths already did the solving of the problem part of the guns they built so youll enjoy the gun on the day you receive and fire it.

I have both - factory open gun and a full custom gun. Both are long slides .38SC

My factory gun needs a little tweaking here and there inc springs until I become satisfied with it (back-up gun)

My full custom is just perfect from the first firing to the present (primary compet. gun). Included is the right load recipe for that comp

I heard Shooters connection has a short waiting period if they dont have one readily available for sale

• 8 months later...

If it comes down to the GM vs. Trubore I would buy the Trubore just because it hasn't been hard chromed.

That way you can "fiddle" with it. :P

And it could make a great back up gun after you get you custom gun done down the road.

JMHO

FM

Edited by Front Man

If it comes down to the GM vs. Trubore I would buy the Trubore just because it hasn't been hard chromed.

That way you can "fiddle" with it. :P

And it could make a great back up gun after you get you custom gun done down the road.

JMHO

FM

+1 :P