Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

There are rumors floating around that MMA World that Quinton "Rampage" Jackson may let the talks on his PRIDE contract lag long enough to take a 1 fight deal with the UFC for a shot at Chuck. But Sobral deserves a shot at Chuck as well. The issue seems to be that the Japan-based PRIDE organization can and does pay much better than the US-based UFC organization.

The BJ Penn/GSP fight is going to be a great fight. But it should not have occured, in my opinion. GSP earned his shot at Matt Hughes. He has beated everyone the UFC put in front of him to climb back into the #1 spot. But instead of giving him his shot, the UFC settles it's dispute with BJ Penn and beings him back straight into a #1 Contender Match with GSP. I still think it should have been Hughes/GSP and BJ Penn/A Level Fighter and then let Penn have a shot at the winner of Hughes/GSP. But I do think the UFC has a nice three way rivarly they can play up as they try to move MMA more mainstream.

The problem with wrestlers and Brazilian Jui-Jitsu artists is that for the push to mainstream MMA, the "lay and pray" control fighting is often ... well .... visually boring. However, Unleashed showed the Nick Diaz/Karo Paryisian fight the other night and they proved that it does not have to be. They constant fought for control, switching positions, being very very active on the ground.

Royce Gracie is a legend. And in his time, he dominated the sport when it was purely style vs style. Now that the sport has evolved to truly a Mixed art, I don't know if he is going to be as competitive as he once was. Plus, I would pull for Matt anyway.

Dirty~ All the Gracie's, including Royce admitted that Rickson was the family champ, and during his prime was considered the dominant BJJ fighter in the world. There are several reasons for the gi, and I dont think using it shows a lack of skill at all. Rickson never wore one in MMA, but it would have been cool to see him fight if he had. It brings another dimension to the fight and defending the gi is an art all its own. Shamrock sorta claimed a moral victory on their second fight, it was a draw on paper, but he went the distance and from the few clips I have seen, it looked like a good fight. Royce wasnt ever bigger than maybe 190 or so, and he weighed pretty much the same on fight night, as he did walking around every day of the week. Very funny you mention Lethal Weapon.... I was joking this weekend to a friend that I was gonna triangle choke him, and then had to try to explain what that was. 3 hours later we are sitting in a bar and see Mel pull a triangle on Gary Busey and I no longer have to explain to my friend.

Green Mt.~ sorry if it sounded like I was slamming Chuck, I didnt mean to. I totally agree with you, it woulda been stupid for Chuck to prove his wrestling against Randy. Chuck did what Chuck does, and won, I just cant concede him to be better all around. However, as can been seen, a lot of fights arent about who is better all around, they are about who does what they do.

Flowers~ quick way to fix the lay and pray... have Herb Dean be the official for every fight, that guy will stand anyone up in a heartbeat. That being said, I dont like that some boxers can lay down, clam up, and wait for the stand up. It gives the strikers a bit of an unfair advantage. I guess it is tough to find the happy median though. Diaz/Karo was a great fight (love those judo throws) but Karo/St. Pierre was even better, those dudes went to war man, one of my favorite all time fights. I agree with you 100% on Hughes/Gracie. Gracie is still a force, but I dont think he will be as dominant as he once was. Plus, Matt is sponsored by Benchmade and Armalite, so we gotta root for him.

Edited by Kimberkid

A good friend fights BJJ all over the world. Has won the worlds in master class and european championships...he has rolled with Rickson and said "...I think I found out what it would be like to spar with God". No one who has rolled with him gets to do anything he doesn't allow them to do...even at his age today. There is a video around of a show titled "Choke" (as I recall) which is a film made of the lead-up to a fight Rickson was in. Excellent if you can find it. Be great to see Rickson 10 years younger against the current crop of UFC studs. He would more than hold his own.

Silva was defeated by Belfort, years ago. I watched the fight and it was one of Silva's first...and he just got overwhelmed in the opening seconds of the fight, stunned, and the fight was properly stopped. I would bet a lot of money against Belfort on a re-match.

Royce Gracie is NOT the best Gracie fighter. They chose him to fight in the first UFC because he was the smallest and lankiest of the clan. They knew that if he could beat the larger stronger opponents it would serve the purpose of making Gracie Jiu Jitsu the leading force in the Martial Arts world. Needless to say they accomplished their goal.

I've been heavily into the Martial Arts for most of my life and was recently training at the Mass Submission Academy (Team Elite) where Jorge Riveira trains. Todays MMA fighter needs to be an all around fighter and the fighter that can bring his game to the table such as Chuck Liddell who chooses to knock people out over submitting them is going back to MMA roots.

The world of MMA has taken a full circle. First it was the Jiu Jitsu guys, then the wrestlers, and now finally the strikers are dominating.

Who will be next?

KK- No apoligies needed I loved wathching Couture fight and I think it sucks that he's all done. I'm also really suprised with Gracie coming back to fight Hughes. I think it's a slap in the face to St. Pierre. I had assumed when they announced the fight that it was a super fight type deal like they did in the past. I suppose Gracie could cut down to 170 but if he were to actually win then who fights who. Maybe Gracie just rides into the sunset but I guess this could be interesting. 170 seems to be the weight class to watch in UFC right now the other champs seem to be pretty dominate over there competition.

I would love to see Fedor (from Pride) fight ANYONE in the UFC.

Right now, the only guy that could give Fedor trouble is his brother...and there is a vid clip floating around the 'net showing Fedor owning his kid brother [who is just darn scarey looking] in a submission only tourney. No one in the UFC could hang with Fedor...and there is a darn good chance he would badly hurt a guy of Chuck's size.

Royce is the youngest son of Helio's clan...that is why he was picked to fight in the early UFCs. The oldest son, Rolls, is said to have been to Rickson as Rickson is to all others in BJJ, that is, he played with him like a lion with a mouse. Rolls died in a hang-gliding accident years ago. Rickson had a son that was an awesome fighter. An incredible BJJ'er. He tragically passed away at far too young an age. Technically, Royler is as good or better than all but maybe Rickson. Royler is a small guy...and tough as railroad spikes. If I could have any Gracie teach me BJJ, it would be Royler.

Gracie / Hughes is not a title fight. It is a one-off great draw and great event for fans of the sport. GSP had his shot at Hughes and got caught. I thought GSP was dominating the fight just prior to being submitted. He does appear to be the class of the 170 pounders.

Don't overlook Franklin! The guy has awesome footwork and a really fine fight game. He just flat beat Evan Tanner up, and Evan is as tough a guy as there is.

Anyone wanting to learn more about the Gracie history should find a copy of "The Gracie Way" by Kid Peligro. It had a real good history, and though written with a bit of bias, is a really cool book.

Bruce~ I think the Tanner/Franklin fight is the only time I thought I was gonna cry during a UFC fight. I have tons of respect for Tanner, solely for the fact that he is all heart. He doesnt have the best technical skills, or the best of anything really, but he never ever ever quits. I also hate Franklin, though I dont know why, I just cant seem to like him. Plus, it is sorta hard to argue with anything in that fight, as Franklin just straight up beat the daylights out of him. Did you see the locker room interviews after the fight? Tanners whole face was so misshappen he look like the kid in the old Same Elliot movie "Mask".

It is a crying shame to see what has happened to Vitor. He was so awesome back in the day and now is just a shell of what could have been. Still however, has arguably the fastest hands in the world.

If anyone has a copy of the film "Choke" lemme know where I can buy/borrow/steal a copy.