Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fixed Competition Sights For 5in Xd

DougCarden

OK, so I sorta have a clue, but this is a pain in the A@# trying to find the right combo for my 9x19 5in XD. I am planning on shooting a lot of production this year. I have been running Dawson Adj with a .285 front for over a year but I just cant deal with the rear cranked all the way down and still being 2.5inches high at 15yds. The highest sight Dawson has is around .300, but that wont fit in my Bladetech holster. All my other match guns are dead on at 25yds, and I dont have the confidence at speed to take head shots when needed when switching to this gun.

I ordered the Heinie slantpros and shot them this week. At 18yds indoors I had a range of 3 to 4.5 inches high, and honestly I am disappointed in how small the freakin rear sight is. :huh: I have a Warren rear sight for the Sig ordered since the dovetail is the same, and am going to get the tallest sight I can from Canyon Creek and hack on that.

I know I should bite the bullet and have Rich do the Bomar treatment, but I honestly cant justify the expense right now, and since I only shoot one load in the gun it really isnt needed. Am I missing something? Thanks as always.....DougC

That is exactly the problem. To have a dead on sight picture you need a higher front sight, and I cant find one that is plain, as Dawson only makes FO sights. I emailed Heine as well. I am checking on Sig front sights, as they are the same Dovetail. I may end up sending it to Rich for the Bomars.......

I called Heinie, Dawson, Canyon Creek today.......If I decide to go Bomars it will go to Rich at Canyon Creek. Dawson only makes FO front sights for XD, they dont have blanks......Heinie has a .210 tall front for SIG, which will work on XDs. I ordered an assortment pack from CDNN for Sigs. I will measure the tallest sight from that. If it is shorter than .210 I will order the one from Heinie to try with the Warren rear. Worse case scenario I will buy a 1911 Heinie rear sight and the tallest front I can find and give them to my smith and tell him to "make them work" :D

Edited by DougC

Thanks for all the info Guys. I have talked to Canyon Creek, Dawson, Heinie, and checked out PistolGear, where I buy stuff, and have done my homework. I have shot three 5in 9x19s and they all shoot high with 147gr loads, due to the 6 oclock sighting from the factory. All three barrels lock up the same, and my gun has been consistent for over 10K.

When you add in the fact that the Dawson doesnt adjust down enough in the rear to sight in all the way with the .285 front sight You are left with a higher front sight or something else. I am not knocking the Dawson unit at all, it works great, but I dont want that high of a front sight. I have several sight combinations coming to try, but I probably have a Canyon Creek Bomar set up in my future!

*NEWS FLASH*

I just received a call from Dawson. They are making a run of taller front sights for the XD. If you need one call them! Talk about being attentive to their Customer's Needs. Mine is ordered! Thanks Dawson Precision!

Doug Carden