Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting A S&w M27...

spook

This idea came to me a couple of minutes ago and I was wondering if it's doable. If you rechamber the cylinder of a 6-shot model 27, 28 or 627 to .357SIG, and cut down the cylinder so it will accept the M610 clips, you could have a pretty cool all-round blaster for various disciplines. Flat shooting, high power, easy reloading with the small 9mm bullets and the 10mm holes. No need to rebarrel...

You could even reload with 125grain .357 bullets for accuracy.

M27's can be had fo' cheap almost everywhere. Brass is cheap. Reloading is more of a pain than other calibers, but still...

Think it can be done?

Björn - Bottleneck cases don't usually work well in revolvers. The problem is that the cases tend to set back after firing, dragging on the recoil shield.

OTOH, that applies to non-moonclip guns. I don't know whether the MC would keep them from dragging on the recoil shield.

Cheap M27s? They must all be in Holland! There aren't any around here!

Yeah, the setback makes sense. There would have to be a tight fit between case and recoil shield. I knew there would be a catch. I doubt it's any different with clipped guns. I can still "rattle" the rounds in my 625 around pretty good.

27 and 28's are dirt cheap here in Holland. The can be had from $200-300 all day long. Too bad I haven't found a nice 8 3/8" model.

Yeah, the setback makes sense. There would have to be a tight fit between case and recoil shield. I knew there would be a catch. I doubt it's any different with clipped guns. I can still "rattle" the rounds in my 625 around pretty good.

27 and 28's are dirt cheap here in Holland. The can be had from $200-300 all day long. Too bad I haven't found a nice 8 3/8" model.

Hey Spook,

do you read the caliber magazine? There was an article some time ago about high power bottle-case-converted revos (some wildcats like a 9mm/41Mag etc). I´ll have a look for the article for you.

DVC!

Sascha

Spook, why not buy one of those inexpensive M27s and cut it for moon clips and chamber it in .357 mag. You would have a gun with lots of power and could be downloaded and would be cheaper for the brass. The cost to convert the gun to this chambering $0 it's already chambered in this round :P

I have a beautiful M27, that I have taken deer with and that my wife shot her very first deer with it. It came with a nice presentation case and has a 8 3/8" barrel. You could buy it over here for $200 - - - NOT!

Some guys have all of the luck. :D

Rick

found it - here we go B)

the article was about the Gary Reeder Wildcats like the 300GNR, 356GNR etc.

Very interesting! Just google for e.g. "gary reeder 356gnr" and you´ll get mass of infos.

DVC!

Sascha

post-6018-1138914140_thumb.jpg

Edited by cooper_999