Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering A New Chronograph

hmp32

So, I have been reading chrono/timer threads and frankly, don't want to spend a lot of money now (I just bought a dillon sdb reloader and still have to buy a 9mm die set to go along with the 2 .45 die sets).

Anyway, I am just not convienced the MKIV is currently what I need.

The timer + chrono features are nice, no doubt. But I am more worried about having ammo that meets power factor. And being here in the Northwest and shooting at an outdoor range, the infrared seems like a really nice feature.

My previous setup was an F-1 Chrony with light fixtures. I set things up so that inspite of the rain, I could use it. It least it died in the line of duty.... so to speak.

The XP1 Seems like an nice replacement option at $160 with infrared.

If I later decide to get the MKIV, I would think i could use the infrarred screens with it,

and then I get a back up chrono unit...

Otherwise, The MKIV is like, $200 + $70 (for sky screens) + $50 (for infrarred upgrade).

What are peoples thoughts and experience given my loosely defined requirements?

Edited by hmp32

CED

You should consider a CED. They sponsor a lot of major matches. It's a good feeling going to the chronograph stage and seeing their equipment. The results match mine exactly. I bought the infra red setup and use it indoors with great results. I don't think that you could go wrong.

Chrony will replace your F-1 for a fee, but it's almost as much as buying that model new IRC. I use a Chrony Alpha Master, that has the "brains" in the remote. Replacement for that model is around $35 if you shoot it. I got mine on ebay for $80 new.

+1 on the CED.

Its a great product, has an infrared option available, and the price is reasonable.

The chrono has long lead cables coming off the sky screen so the units sits on the bench next to the shooter out of the line of fire.

Worst case scenario, you blast a sensor which is a lot cheaper to replace than the chrono.

They also have been loyal sponsors.

Suggest you check it out on shootersconnection.com

Tls

Just as a sidenote. I painted a broad line on both sides of both the uprights of my skyscreens about 9-10 inches up from the bottoms. Used whiteout for paint. Gives me something to look at when firing throught the screens. Makes for consistacy and - so far - no ruined unit.....

+2 or 3 for the CED. When testing your ammo for matches, why not use the same chrono used at the Nationals and most area matches.

I doubt if Chrony will replace my F1, something about a doubletap to the head.

Cost. I can't afford $250 bucks for the CED + Infrared upgrade. The later is a must have for the Pacific Northwest.

If it is a must have for the NW then how were you getting along before?

I thought CED was the only one out with the IR upgrade?

I purchased the light fixtures for the Chrony. I then staple plastic

bags to the wooden baffles at my range to shield it from water

when it is raining.

I'd just send it back for repair/replacement. You already have the IR setup, so I'd think this would easily be the most inexpensive route.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I have the incadescent fixtures, not the infrarred ones.

+10 on the CED

i did get the IR, but to be able to use it outdoors you need to also get the battery pack/charger unit.

I still haven't ordered that part yet.

So I can use it indoors with an outlet close by. Just not many outdoor ranges out here have outlets handy.

I like being able to have all the info close to me, hit a few buttons and get average velocity, standard deviation, extreme spread and then enter in the bullet weight and get power factor from the AV number.

Haven't used it enough to warrant downloading any data to the computer, yet.

Chills

Before I bought the IR setup for the CED, I thought about trying to find some way of attaching the incandescent lights from my F-1 to the tops of the CED. You could always give it a try and if it works you can always get the upgrade later. You just need to light up the skyscreens so the sensor can see the bullet shadow better.

Before I bought the IR setup for the CED, I thought about trying to find some way of attaching the incandescent lights from my F-1 to the tops of the CED. You could always give it a try and if it works you can always get the upgrade later. You just need to light up the skyscreens so the sensor can see the bullet shadow better.

Yeah, I was thinking about that or something simlar. I can get the CED at Brownells for $170.00.

Or, I wait and save a little more, get the CED + IR + Carry bag at shootersconnection for $263.

Okay, I am convienced. CED it is. I also have to admit a thread I saw on PACT had an influence.

Definitely go CED. Just got mine from Chuck @ Shooters Connection. Real nice when you can unpack the unit, set it up and start using it. Doesn't work that way with PACT.

• 4 weeks later...