Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time At The Range

plunk

Newbie here. Bear with me.

I have been shooting my carry weapon at the local gun club where I am a member. One of the guys invited me to come out sometime to the other range in town where they have practical shooting competition. Today I went.

There were about 25 shooters there and several scenarios set up. Everything seemed very organized and cordial. I think I was the only stranger there. I introduced myself to a couple of people and said why I was there. I stayed in the background and took in a lot about what was going on. It was a perfect day and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

I quickly came to the realization that I need another gun. Well, who *doesn't* need another gun? Anyway, my little carry weapon is definitely not usable in competition. I have shot my friend's Kimber 1911 and I liked it. I was wondering if the readers here have recommendations for a beginner. Something on the lighter-weight end of the scale. I am female and don't have a lot of upper body strength. I have held a Glock 26 and it felt good in my hand but I have never shot one.

I also need more *stuff*. Belt, magazine holders, new range bag, stuff like that.

Thanks for your input.

plunk

Plunk, welcome to the forum. Not knowing if you went to a USPSA or IDPA match I will try to help with something that will fit both. A Glock, a 17 or 34, in 9mm. Fits both sports, inexpensive to buy and shoot with out reloading. The friend who invited you to the match is likely to be a scorce of info. At the botton of the forum there is a ladys forum. Contact these gals, most of them have been where you are now with the shooting sports and have a wealth of info(not that I,m trying to guide you out of the forum in general, lots of good folks with a lot of info that they gladly share).------Larry

Edited by lkytx

Welcome to the forums! If possible, shoot several different guns in different calibers, before you decide to purchase one. There are many combinations and it all boils down to a matter of personal preference. Many, if not all, of those guys at the range will be more than happy to let you shoot their guns and tell you why it is the best format for them. Like the song said,

"My momma told me you better shop around."

The one that feels best to you when you shoot it will give you an idea of which division, whether USPSA or IDPA to start with. If you tell us which game you watched we can give you more information. The Glock and 1911 you mentioned are the two most prevelant types of guns you'll see.

Enjoy the journey!

Dale

plunk,

Welcome.

Looks like you're already getting some good advice.

I will try to give you some specific recommendations but you need to go with what you are most comfortable shooting.

Most any indoor range rents guns.

Go and try several different ones before you make up your mind.

As a place to start, I recommend you try a Springfield XD or Glock in 40 cal.

The reasons are:

You held a Glock and liked the feel.

You mentioned upper body strength and said you wanted something light.

Both these guns have polymer frames and are relatively light.

Ammo is available in 40 cal at minor power factor.

This would allow you to shoot in production and recoil would not be bad.

Production, by the way, is a good place for you to start.

Later on if you wanted to move to another division such as lim 10 or even limited you could do it with the gun you have, just a change to more powerful ammo.

Last but not least, if you decide you want to your race gun to double as a carry gun,

either is a great choice.

Have fun.

Tls

Thanks, everyone.

The match was USPSA. The range where I shoot when I go to Florida is indoor and has guns for rent. I will check out a few there.

My friend here is the fellow who conducted the safety class when I joined the gun club. I have emailed him with the questions as well. I can see the potential for spending a lot of money on *stuff* that I might not necessarily need so I plan to listen and learn.

The gun club I am a member of is mainly for shotguns. There is a pistol range with some stands on which targets can be stapled. The match I went to today is a dedicated range for competition shooting. I am not a member of that club...yet.

plunk

Plunk,

Where in Florida do you live? There are terrific USPSA competions in several cities. Jacksonville and St. Augustine are currently the closest to me in Gainesville. I've now shot at four different clubs and everyone has been very helpful and friendly.