Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Vs 38 Special 8 Shot S&w 627 Pc

foosball

Good evening ,

I'm kind of the or nothing type of guy and I'm really liking the idea of ICORE and shooting revolvers really good. I have a bunch of handguns, mostly 45 acp's and 22's in bottom feeders and I love S&W revolvers. I have a 625 Vcomp, 325 pd, a 625 45 Colt mountain gun, 3 686's (1 6" -5, 1 4" with old style hammer, and 1 7 shot 2 1/2") and a 6" 617. I have been looking a adding an 8 shot to play with.

I have had some work done on the 625 Vcomp and the 686 6" and plan to use them for a while but the 627 pc 8 shot is calling out to me. I see the 38/357 627 PC and Vcomp version all around but I happened upon a 625 pc 38 super that has already had the fibre sight, the triger bob and a good action job with only about 200-300 rounds through it. Now the question is..... is there any big advantage to the 38 super over the 38 special in match shooting. And is it worth reloading another calibre for it. (I'm also thing about upgrading my RCBS rock chucker to a Dillion progressive)

Any observations, suggestions or insights would be helpful. Note: I'm only interested in limited for now but who knows what the future might bring.

Thanks

Jeff :rolleyes:

Good evening ,

I'm kind of the or nothing type of guy and I'm really liking the idea of ICORE and shooting revolvers really good. I have a bunch of handguns, mostly 45 acp's and 22's in bottom feeders and I love S&W revolvers. I have a 625 Vcomp, 325 pd, a 625 45 Colt mountain gun, 3 686's (1 6" -5, 1 4" with old style hammer, and 1 7 shot 2 1/2") and a 6" 617. I have been looking a adding an 8 shot to play with.

I have had some work done on the 625 Vcomp and the 686 6" and plan to use them for a while but the 627 pc 8 shot is calling out to me. I see the 38/357 627 PC and Vcomp version all around but I happened upon a 625 pc 38 super that has already had the fibre sight, the triger bob and a good action job with only about 200-300 rounds through it. Now the question is..... is there any big advantage to the 38 super over the 38 special in match shooting. And is it worth reloading another calibre for it. (I'm also thing about upgrading my RCBS rock chucker to a Dillion progressive)

Any observations, suggestions or insights would be helpful. Note: I'm only interested in limited for now but who knows what the future might bring.

Thanks

Jeff :rolleyes:

Both of my 8-shots are .38 Spl. but I have been told the 38 Super are faster when reloading the revolver.

I have not changed just because I have a lot of .38 Spl. brass and don't want another caliber to reload.

I own both an RCBS Ammo master and a Dillon 650 with a case feeder. If your going to do a lot of reloading the 650 with the case feeder is hard to beat.

My first 627 8 shot was the 357., the second two 627 are the 38 super. I think I can reload the 38 super just as fast as my 625's. The shorter case of the super is the key. Comes out fast and with the right moon clips from HearthCo, they go in just as fast. I would think for Icore the super would be king. I only get to shoot Icore maybe twice a year here in WI, John would be a better judge than me in what is popular in the icore circles. I love my supers though.

Tom Mainus

Jeff, if you don't mind the extra calibre then go for the super. I went from the 8 shot V comp to a Model 28 converted to 8 shot and now the super. My splits have improved. My confidence in my reloads has improved. The shorter case length helps on the reloads. A lot of the top revolver shooters here in Australia have gone the super and I'll bet none of them would go back to 38spl because the super is just a dream on the reloads.

PK

Another reason to go with the Super--it already has a good action.

(If you were to order a "PC" 627 in .357, you would probably not be pleased. Mine had about a 25-pound pull from the factory.)

Other than a brief stint of carrying a .38 Super SIG a long time ago, I went for a lot of years without ever owning a gun in that caliber. Then I bought DougC's .38 Super 627-4 last year, found some used Dillon dies, and now I find myself with two more guns in that chambering (both bottomfeeders)!

Last time I looked, Cabela's (of all places) had a great price on Remington .38 Super brass.....

The Super is a real trick gun, and if I weren't so cheap I'd probably own one... Mike has the right idea about the action job, not having to do an action job will save you a few bucks.

As to the Super vs. .38 Special, some guys out there (I'm one of them) use .38 Short Colt brass in their .38/.357 guns to duplicate the short case of the .38 Super. It gives the same smooth, fast reload.

From personal experience:

I have an M28 converted to 8shot .38 super and a 627 .38/357 that I use regularly for ICORE. I have been using .38 super rounds since 1997 till present so I am very familiar with the .38 super short brass.

The shorter case .38super rounds fall faster for me than the .38 special for when I have standing reloads like in Bill Drill.

I find no measurable difference in my reloading speed using either gun/brass while reloading on the move.

From the description of your arsenal, you probably have a bunch of .38 special brass. If you reload your own ammunition save your money on buying a new .38 super die and get a .38 special 8 shot and practice, practice, practice.

Renny