Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long Sv Mag

dstroyed

I have a new SV mag that is too long. It will not lock in with slide forward.

I'm new to the dbl stack mags. Unfortunately I do not have another just like it to compare. This a 9mm mag

IN the picture the short one (right side) is a .40 I'm comparing to. Should a .40 and a 9 mm be the same length? That is about 1/16 of an inch diff. The lips look perfect other than 1/16 too long the entire length at the top.

Edited by dstroyed

The important dimension is not the absolute height/length as compared to the two mags (though, that *could* make some difference to the mag gauge...). You could just have tubes that are different lengths, after all... The important dimension would be from the top of the feed lips to the mag catch hole in the right side of the tube. That *should* measure the same for all tubes...

Edited by XRe

Jamie, I think me may be rained out but regardless I have work related issue that holds me back today. Sundays 3 gun I hope.

Dave I checked the length from the catch hole to top of feed lips and its considerably longer compared to the .40 I don't know if that is an acceptable comparison.

Sniperman I was thinking the same thing but was looking for advice before I started whittling a way at this brand new mag.

Does anyone have the same two mags I’m comparing to tell me if the measurement from the top of the catch hole to the top of the feed lips is the same?

Is this 9mm mag the same as a 38 super?

FWIW- I pulled out a 9mm and a .40 SV mag. They appear to be the same length. I have six 140mm mags and before they were tuned, no two looked alike. :wacko:

Thanks you must have been reading my mind as I was typing.

Yea, I noticed that no 2 are exactly.

I think that the hole is so far off I may have the wrong mag or a bad mag. As the blurry pic shows it is about 1/16.

Is a 1/16 of of an inch too much to open up the catch hole?

From the picture you posted, the tube on the right is a Para tube. You can tell by the square cut compared to the "U" cut. The notch for the mag catch is in a different position and it will not lock into a SV or STI. See if you can exchange it for the correct tube for your frame.

-JPL

Thanks for all the input. I will see about getting it replaced. Shouldn't be a problem. It has not even been used.

I was hoping for a repair type fix but that is ok.

Thanks for all the input. I will see about getting it replaced. Shouldn't be a problem. It has not even been used.

I was hoping for a repair type fix but that is ok.

Dave I checked the length from the catch hole to top of feed lips and its considerably longer compared to the .40 I don't know if that is an acceptable comparison.

Consider that, in S_I type guns, the same frame is capable of running several different calibers - nominally with three standard case/rim sizes. In order for that to work, important dimensions of the magazines must meet certain tolerances for all three sizes - overall width and length (front to back) must be under a certain size in order to fit within the the grip, and the mag catch hole must be in the same place relative to the disconnector rail on the slide (cause that's where the top of the mag is going to hit once it gets into the gun). Otherwise, the mag catch would have to move within the frame to allow you to run different magazine types...

Externally, the mag catch holes for all S_I magazines meant for S_I frames (there are STI mags running around that are designed for Para frames...) should all be in roughly the same place - there's a little bit of tolerance, of course.

Is this 9mm mag the same as a 38 super?

Generally speaking, yes. The feed lips may be tweaked slightly differently - in fact, the SVs seem to be quite a bit narrower than the STIs from the factory (at least, judging by my mags), perhaps accounting for their ability to run 9mm ammo better w/o the spacers that folks seem to need in STI mags (which STI is apparently addressing through a feed lip modification within the factory, BTW...). Other than that, the internal/external dimensions of the mags should be the same for 9mm/.38 Super and variants...

I think that the hole is so far off I may have the wrong mag or a bad mag. As the blurry pic shows it is about 1/16.

Is a 1/16 of of an inch too much to open up the catch hole?

I'd suspect a bad mag. AFAIK, SV has only made mags for the S_I style frame, so... A sixteenth is pretty big in gunsmithing terms - .063". For the amount of money SV charges for those mags, they should probably come working from the factory, eh?? :) Send it up to them - they should replace it for you, no charge :)