Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Night Match Last Night...

Kyreb

This was interesting. been playing the game for 20 years but never shot a match at night before.

There were three stages, one was a "stand and spray" speedshoot, 16 rounds, the other two were 25+ shot courses involving a fair amount of movement, ports, US poppers and a TX star. They had set up a set of three emergency lights behind each stage and pulled up some vehicles and turn on the headlight for added illumination. Lighting was OK but not great. A flashlight was not necessary to shoot, but not by a great deal.

I shot my SA 1911 .45 loaded with 200 gr LSWC over 5 gns of WST.

Lessons learned:

(1) The fiber optic front sight was very hard to pick up under low light.

(2) The large cloud of smoke illuminated by the lights behind me was like shooting a black powder gun. Two or three shoots and you could hardly see the targets. Next time I'll shoot FMJ for sure and maybe try another powder.

(3) Confirmed in my own mind for certain that a shotgun would be a far better choice than a handgun at night if confronted with a "serious situation".

(4) TX really is the center of the universe for handgun sports! Rick

The match was at American Shooting Center in Houston, TX. The Club was Trigger Time. I had the same problem with the smoke issue, having to shoot extra shots and all. The matches will get better once the sun stays out a little longer. but all in all it was a fun match.

Yep!! Them sights are hard to see when it gets dark. At our club, in Ohio where it's cold during the winter, we have an indoor range in which we have small matches during the winter. We run some of the stages in low light. Heck during the summer we do the same thing with one indoor stage at low light. Most people do not have a chance to shoot in low light and it is always surprise to them how hard it is to shoot quickly and accurately.

The match was at American Shooting Center in Houston, TX. The Club was Trigger Time. I had the same problem with the smoke issue, having to shoot extra shots and all. The matches will get better once the sun stays out a little longer. but all in all it was a fun match.

Yep that was it. Good bunch of guys...I hope to become a regular. A tuesday evening match does a lot to break up the week.

Will miss this week though...ski trip to CO. :D Rick