Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spoof

Clay1

I have received two fake Ebay notifications within the last couple of weeks. The have the Ebay logo and look official, but they are trying to get you to enter your password into a link that isn't a part of Ebay.

Today I got one that said that I sent a payment of $395.85 to Omegamover.com for a watch and it thanked me for the payment. You click on a link that looked like Ebay that wanted you to enter your password. DON'T DO IT!

Only enter your password when you get into Ebay from your normal way to get into Ebay or Paypall - never from a link from an Email even though the Ebay logo and everything looks legit. I reported the Spoof email to Ebay and they confirmed that they did not send it and that it was Spoof or fake email.

Be careful out there!

Rick

Don't even click the link!!! It will likely take you to a site that will proceed to dump all kinds of spyware and/or viruses down to your system! If you hover your mouse over a link in an email, your client will probably display the actual URL, which will not be ebay, pay pal, etc. It may have ebay or pay pal in the URL, but the actual server (between http:// and the first /) will probably be an IP address or DNS name that is not who they claim to be. You can also select "view options" or something like that from the menu in your client and see that the sender is not really ebay or pay pal. They usually spoof the reply to though.

I just had this happen to me. The e-mail said that I needed to update my account information or my account would be terminated. Fearing the loss of my 100% positive feedback, I followed the link. When they asked for credit card information, I became suspicious and e-mailed ebay. They confirmed my suspicion.

I get those all the time, funny thing about it is, I get the ebay phishing scams on email accts that I don't use for ebay.

I've been tempted to enter bad data for them but have always just added the emails to my spam folders.

Vince

CSEMartin, the one that you got was the first one of the two that I received. I got to the enter your password on that one and never did. If you did enter your password - you want to log into Ebay and change your password - NOW!

Also check the activity on your account. Heads up on the watch for $395, just go to ebay and see if you really bought anything there. I've only received two of these, but it phisses me off!

Rick

If the government wanted to catch these phishers they would work a deal with th ecredit card companies to sdet up booby trapped accounts, give them to phishers, and then follow the paper trail where the money would flow when a vendor attempted to charge to these accounts.

The credit card companies have almost no vested interest in fixing these problems-- they get paid either way. If it's a real transaction, you pay. If it's a fraudulent transaction, the merchant pays. Great gig if you can get it.

I'm always amused by the mailing lists I run that get a constant stream "important notice about your account!" and "Ebay Important", "Bank Update Notice!" e-mails. Like my mailing list has investment accounts or buys stuff on eBay.