Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fire-lapped Glock barrels

Patrick Sweeney

Has anyone tried the fire-lapping method on a Glock barrel that was prone to leading?  Just a thought.  I used the fire-lapping from NECO on a Beretta barrel, and there was a very noticeable improvement in accuracy.  However, that barrel never leaded, before or after, so I don't know what effect it may have on leading.

[unqualified Authority Mode ON]

Patrick,

Are we talking stock or aftermarket barrels?

I thought Glock barrels leaded for reasons other than surface roughness.  (polygonal rifling "squeezing" the bullet) My stock barrel is so glass smooth the copper hardly sticks to it.  Fire lapping might reduce leading by sheer virtue of increasing the bore diameter, but I'm not sure it can substantially improve the surface finish.  It might actually make it worse.  

My $.02,

E

[Really Unqualified Authority Mode ON]

I think the "problem" comes down to a typical tolerance stackup issue.  The few tenths variation in bullet diameters combined with bore diameter variations probably causes major leading with some Glocks and not on others.  There are guys shooting lead in their Glock with few problems.  But leading with the big bullet/small bore combo is probably so dramatic that Glock came up with the "lead is a no no" mantra.

I'm guessing the issue is there with HK's, but less noted just because the low volume of pistols in service.

E

• 1 year later...

A friend mentioned "firelapping" his new pistol so I did a search. Came up with only this single thread.

I was wondering how much this method will help 1911 barrels or handgun barrels in general. I searched google but could only find related info for rifles.

Appreciate your feedback and experiences.

Thanks.

I'm also interested, if anyone has ever tried the Tubbs kit on a handgun barrel. The kit I used on a .308 significantly smoothed things out. I recently was cleaning my G34 and notice buildup in every groove that a treatment of Sweets wouldn't even take out. The barrel is a BarSto and has only seen plated and jacketed.

for those that don' t know what fire lapping is:

About Fire Lapping Barrels

You roll bullets, lead or jacketed, between two hard plates (steel usually) to embed valve grinding compound grit (generic term for lapping compounds you may be familiar with) into the bullets. Then generally with a reduced load, shoot these gritty bullets through the barrel.

It takes the tops off the surface finish inside the barrel going around the inside, and then leaves a finish going WITH the travel of the bullet. It also takes off burrs and sharp edges from the rifling.

And since the grit in the bullets breaks down as it travels down the barrel, the gritty bullets cut less and less as they travel toward the muzzle. Thus you get something of a "choked" bore & groove, and this in itself is a plus to accuracy. Barrels that get progressively tighter toward the muzzle are usually quite accurate.

complete article here:

http://www.bellmtcs.com/FAQ/Fire_Lapping.htm

Eric wrote: "There are guys shooting lead in their Glock with few problems. " I have heard this also. Usually, when a Glock shooter gets away with shooting lead, the bullets are very hard cast and usually its a .45 ACP Glock (low projectile velocity). The lead "problems often seem to be from 9mm (high velocity).

Keep in mind that if you want to shoot lead in a Glock, the Precision brand, plastic and MolyDisulfide coated bullet is comparable as to price and diameter. A co-worker called Precision and it took some doing to get them to admit that they do use Moly in their coating mixture. However, I do not see this as a problem; the Precision bullet is accurate and less expensive than most GLOCK bullets (i.e. plated and jacketed). Maybe not quite so cheap as lead, but still cheap.

My HK USP barrel does lead badly. I now use Moly coated bullets and it still leads but not as bad as when using the "silver bullet." My KKM Glock barrel will still lead but not to the degree of the OEM glock barrel will.

racine

I've been using Masterblaster's Poly-M bullets in a Glock 36 (.45) and it stays clean as a whistle.

I haven't really tried them in 9mm yet. Getting there soon.

My 1911's also stay clean.

Yeah, I know, Glocks and 1911s, the docs have diagnosed my schitz and my manic depression. Good drugs coming!!!