Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nickle Brass Opinion Needed

haras

I've decided to go with all nickle brass in my 610. I'm using Ranch moon clips. I'm looking for opinions and thoughts about what brand brass to go with. Got any? Opinions that is..

Federal, Winchester, Remington, Speer,......

Edited by haras

I've decided to go with all nickle brass in my 610. I'm using Ranch moon clips. I'm looking for opinions and thoughts about what brand brass to go with. Got any? Opinions that is..

I use nickle plated brass in my 9mm, so my experience may not carry over. I prefer the Speer brass. Federal seems to flake off and die faster then Speer. I get both in large batches as police range brass. I get a few Win and Rem in my pile from range pickups but not enough to form an opinion. They all work just fine.

However, I hate Speer brass in .45 because it has a strange concave shape to the brass head which makes it a pain to prime. No such thing in the 9mm brass. No idea about 10mm/.40 though.

I use RP and Speer Nickle plated brass in my 610 and it doesn't really seem to make a difference. I think I use the ranch moon clips (the ones they sell in the Dillon Blue Press). If federal or winchester plated brass gets in there, I don't bother removing it. I do seem to get more splits with it, but then I think that's SOP with any bi-metal brass. I like it because it feels slicker going into the chambers but that might just be me telling myself lies.

I've run into a little conundrum lately. I'd noticed that after I loaded the last large batch of 10 mm ammo that I was having issues getting the ammo to fully seat. I initially thought it was due to overlong bullets but now after measuring all my brass (after depriming and sizing), a very large portion (like half the brass) is over long. We are talking sometimes up to .005" too long. No wonder it didn't want to go in. Some would say to toss them out, but me being a glutton for punishment, I'll probably sit down one day soon and trim it all to one length and keep using it till I get an excess # of splits out of them.

Vince

Here's an off-the-wall opinion; I think Starline is the superior brass for moon clip guns. The web of the case is the smallest of the commercial brands I have measured. I prefer a small amount of movement in the moon. My reloads are consistently faster with Starline than any other brass, and since I don't lose it I don't mind the slightly higher price.

Get an order of Starline send half off to be plated and then test it out to see if the nickle is actually helping. In either case you'll have excellent brass.

I can add a plus for Winchester nickel, bought 1K of them maybe 10 years ago to use only

in my 610 Pin revo, no idea how many reloads but over 10, and these have been all 205+

power factor loads.

I'm still using them, although the Winchester name is getting hard to read :)

Don't remember getting any splits.

The Starline idea is a thought, you can get Nickel Starline (I have 20-30 of 'em)

I did have a bad batch of Starline 10mm brass years ago, they had one, maybe 2 loadings

of pin loads and the primer pockets became so loose I couldn't feel the primers being

seated, third and final loading i saw gas bleeding around the primers :o

I've since learned that Starline is a good company and I should have called and sent my

"soft" brass back to be replaced (I bought 2K of the suckers :blink: )

I did have horrible luck with 500 Rem nickel cases, brand spanking new and they started

cracking on their first loading. All gone now.

Have some Federal nickel I haven't shot yet, and alot of Fed brass. Fed brass is a lot

sloppier in the Brownells clips, too bad as I have approx. 8K once fired cases.

I'll have to check out the Federal and Heathco's fancy clips if I use this brass.

Of the 3 or 4 brass makers and Ranch moonclips I'd have to say Win fits the best, Rem fit

good to but I ain't happy with the brass. Fed is sloppy, and I don't remember on the

Starline

Soon someone will get on the list and say "don't reload nickel cases" <_<

I have had great luck loading the Win 10mm and the few Starline Nickel cases I have seem

really robust. I've reloaded a bunch of Fed .40 cases with no problems and loaded some

Fed +P+ nickel 38 spc cases about 10 times before I started seeing problems, so don't

believe all the fuss about loading nickel brass.

Buy 1K of whatever and shoot 'em this season, start next season with a new 1K batch

and use this years brass as practice brass.

Good luck.

I'm not a bit afraid of loading nickel brass, but I completely fail to see any advantage in going out of my way to use the stuff.....

Only if you want to segragate your brass from one gun to another, that's why I did it with

the 610 pin gun as I was shooting a 10mm semi Open gun also.

My Open auto pin load did about a 220-225 pf in the 610 revo (or was that the other way

around :unsure: )

Both guns were hybri-sized and I couldn't get a common load for both of them.

Have some Federal nickel I haven't shot yet, and alot of Fed brass. Fed brass is a lot

I'll have to check out the Federal and Heathco's fancy clips if I use this brass.

Hi Dave,

I just finished protos of .040, solid (no split), 610 spring steel clips and the only brass on hand to check the fit was nickel FED. I dont believe that the nickel is thick enought to have a dramatic effect on the fit. Dave B)

Edited by hearthco

Hi Dave,

I just finished protos of .040, solid (no split), 610 spring steel clips and the only brass on hand to check the fit was nickel FED. I dont believe that the nickel is thick enought to have a dramatic effect on the fit. Dave B)

Hi Dave,

Well I'd be all set cause my 8K of FED brass is mostly plain brass.

I have a sample of one of your 10mm split clips, works fine with what ever brass

I put in it.

If I start using my "lightened" 6.5 barreled 610 for USPSA I might need to look at your

clips, problem is the way these morons around here step on them while "air-gunning" or

just basicly getting in the way of the few shooters who actually tape targets (do I sound

bitter ??) I lose 4-5 clips at weekend match because of these boobs :wacko:

Hey Dave ??? how do they work on 40 brass ?

okay...start counting.....10..9..8..7......

Hi Dave,

I have a sample of one of your 10mm split clips, works fine with what ever brass

I put in it.

If I start using my "lightened" 6.5 barreled 610 for USPSA I might need to look at your

clips, problem is the way these morons around here step on them while "air-gunning" or

just basicly getting in the way of the few shooters who actually tape targets (do I sound

I think the solid spring steel will be more durable. You guys (IPSC Revo) are harder on the clips than the ICORE guys. Dave B)

Edited by hearthco

I think the solid spring steel will be more durable. You guys (IPSC Revo) are harder on the clips than the ICORE guys. Dave B)

That's because us ICORE guys are nice guys (and gals !)

We know who's turn it is next...

We know that THEY should be the one air-guning and seeing how to shoot the stage...

We know we wouldn't step on some &^$% $50-$100 high cap magcause we wouldn't want

it done to us...

We respect other shooters, heck we even help them out if need be !!

okay, rant mode off till my next IPSC match.

That's because us ICORE guys are nice guys (and gals !)

We know who's turn it is next...

We know that THEY should be the one air-guning and seeing how to shoot the stage...

We know we wouldn't step on some &^$% $50-$100 high cap magcause we wouldn't want

it done to us...

We respect other shooters, heck we even help them out if need be !!

okay, rant mode off till my next IPSC match.

WOW!!

Dave B)

Hi Dave,

Hey Dave ?? what are these new clips going to cost ??

Do they work with .40 brass ??

(if you need a guniea pig I have a few 610's to try them out on newer and old ones,

610's that is)

I don't know why, but it feels like to me I shoot my 610 better than my 45 revo's,

it's just that 6.5 inch full lugged barrel is tough to push around.

(course I have shot a lot of 10mm rounds thru these guns)

Hi Dave,

Hey Dave ?? what are these new clips going to cost ??

Do they work with .40 brass ??

(if you need a guniea pig I have a few 610's to try them out on newer and old ones,

610's that is)

I don't know why, but it feels like to me I shoot my 610 better than my 45 revo's,

it's just that 6.5 inch full lugged barrel is tough to push around.

(course I have shot a lot of 10mm rounds thru these guns)

The clips are designed for 40 brass, they will be $8ea for 1-19 and $7ea for 20-up(Carmoney-GASP!!!!!!!!!!).

They are being looked at by a guy in Louiseanna right now. Dave B)

The clips are designed for 40 brass, they will be $8ea for 1-19 and $7ea for 20-up(Carmoney-GASP!!!!!!!!!!).

Judas Priest, Dave, what are you doing out there, EDMing those things out of pure platinum?!? Man. How about a "Hearthco Value Line" moonclip made from MIM or plastic or hard-tack candy, for us non-California working stiff wheelgunners?? ;)

Judas Priest, Dave, what are you doing out there, EDMing those things out of pure platinum?!? Man. How about a "Hearthco Value Line" moonclip made from MIM or plastic or hard-tack candy, for us non-California working stiff wheelgunners?? ;)

This brings to mind a very funny story from a couple of IRCs ago.

A jewish friend who shall forever be un-named. Said "Dave, why dont you offer a 50 cent trade in for all the clips you sell?" I said "Why would I do that?" He said " Cause then you could put them in a box and sell them for a buck apiece!" Thats WISDOM!!!!

I would love to go the plastic route, but I think Scott Beckham has a patient on them.

Here you go Mike;

www.beckhamdesign.com

Dave B)

Yeah, I've tried the Rimz clips but they're not for me.

I do have one (1) Hearthco clip and that is the beautifully-machined sample you sent me. I keep it in a little velvet-lined box in my safe and bring it out only on special occasions.

It's my "barbecue" moonclip, actually.... ;)

Yeah, I've tried the Rimz clips but they're not for me.

I do have one (1) Hearthco clip and that is the beautifully-machined sample you sent me. I keep it in a little velvet-lined box in my safe and bring it out only on special occasions.

It's my "barbecue" moonclip, actually.... ;)

Common Mike,

Get that thing out to a match. Thats the only way an RO can STEP ON IT!!!

There used to be a nasty rumor that I gave discounts to ICORE ROs.

NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!! welllllll maybe. Dave B)

Actually, at one time I briefly had two Hearthco moonclips.....the one you gave me and one of Dan's .45 moonclips that somehow wound up in my shooting bag after the MO Fall Classic. (I sent it to Dan, carefully packaged and insured, of course.)

Hi Dave,

Hi Dave,

I put in it.

Lets see a picture of your "lightened" 6.5 barreled 610. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angryreb

Nice work Dave!!!

Dave B)

Thanks Dave, now if my machining abilties could live up to my CAD abilities I'd be all set :(

here's the "lug-ectomy" version, I don't have the fixturing to do this, or the experiance with

the milling machine but it's fun to dream !