Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed Holsters

Duffy

I've been shooting for a little less than 2 years and last summer I decided to compete in both IPSC and IDPA matches. Typically finished somewhere around 15 or 16 of 24 competitors in the local IPSC matches. This year I'm planning on some focused practice and new gear. I currently use a Kramer leather holster and mag holders. Nice holster but it isn't built for speed. I've asked some friends for advice, I've been doing some searching on the web and have asked for insights on several other forum's. Some feedback along the lines of what forum members are using but not why. If I'm to make a choice between the many holsters (Safariland 012, 5012, CR speed, Ghost...) I need to understand what to look for in a speed holster - the good, the bad and the ugly. I would appreciative if folks on this forum could share their experience and insights.

On another note, any advice on how to maintain accuracy while pushing for speed would be appreciated. I typically shoot 2" groups at 40 feet but when shooting on a COF with the timer going, well, my accuracy suffers a bit.

Thanks,

Edited by Duffy

If you're going to shoot both IPSC and IDPA with the same equipment, you'll want to be looking at the fastest IDPA-legal holsters.. which means probably something in Kydex. Blade-Tech, Comp-Tac and a host of others make good Kydex gear.

The support gear is a personal issue, and relative to the division in which you will be shooting in USPSA. It sounds like you use the same handgun for both USPSA and IDPA and while support gear can make a small diffrence in presentation (draw) and reload times it is not the end all to advancing or winning matches in either sport.

As far as maintaining accuracy while increasing speed......well that comes from "seeing and awareness" and you get that stuff from practice and lots of it. There is gobs of info on these forums (use the search feature) and books, instuctional DVDs for sale that will put you on the path.

#1 - The gear matters little, the $15 Uncle Mikes is a fast as an expensive "race" holster. Most modern plastic holsters are as fast as you make them.

#2 - You can't effectively "push to go fast." Speed is a by product of doing things efficiently.

for the holser question, I'd try the Safariland Custom Fit 560 (assuming you have a 1911 style pistol for both USPSA and IDPA). It is a comfortable, quick open top holster that is good enough for TGO, and me too....haha.

The second question will be answered by various instructional videos (Matt Burkett being my favorite). Then do yourself a favor and film yourself at various local matches and see what techniques you can improve on. It helped me a ton.

Good luck, and as always have fun!!!!

I just bought the Ghost holster and love it but I only shoot USPSA. Granted it didnt shave anytime off but boy it looks sweet! I shoot alot and then some your speed increases when you start to get comfortable with what your doing. It just kinda happens but dont get me wrong I also pratice alot and always take advice from everyone else and try to take into account and see if it helps.

As mentioned above both the Uncle Mikes and Bladetech injection molded holsters are usually on sale somewhere for $20 or so, Bladetech has a drop and offset device called the Stingray which bolts on their holsters ( I hear the dropped offset stuff is only IDPA legal for female shooters )

If you are interested in a Safariland 012, check their website closeouts, I got mine for $ 75.00 plus shipping ( it's red , the black one cost $269.00 guess how much spray paint you can buy with the difference... )

Chuck at Shooters Connection is running the CR Speed holsters on sale right now for $148 plus shipping.

I can't say any of these holsters make me draw like some of the real talent that hangs out here on this forum. They all work pretty well for me.

What little speed I have aquired has been a direct result of NOT trying to go fast.

The harder you try to go fast, the worse the results.

Travis F.

My 2 cents, my body shape had a lot to do with my holster choice. I chose a Safariland 011 & 012 because it allowed me to get the grip a little further from my body. For Production I have a BladeTech dropped & offset with SpeedComp mag pouches. I use a Wilson for single stack and CCW.