Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolff Recoil Rod For Glock

WildWest N AZ

Im asking because Ive alot of issues with my tungstons rods coming lose with the part that sets in the barrel. Im tired of sending them back so Im looking to change makers? Wolff seems to make good stuff so if anyone that knows about Wolff products let me know. Its states to only use thier springs with the rod or can you still get away with stock Glock springs?

Thanks for the help. :D

I have one in one of my G35s and a tungston in the other. They work virtually the same, except for weight. I would suggest using Wolff springs anyway. The don't settle as much as ISMI and stock. They also have a "smoother" feel IMO. The stock springs inner dimension is too small to fit onto the Wolff guide rod however. You can buy the kit on their website:

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/GlockNF.html

Play with both a G20 and 34 in IDPA so got the longer 20/21 length Wolff rod and use it the most in the 34, easily 10K+ so far with their 15 Lb. spring and ca. 135 PF hand loads. Never a problem.

Agree with the others that is seems smoother in operation. May just be both spring and rod are polished and suitably hardened but it's nicer than the captive ISMI spring and rod had in gun before, IMO....

Kevin uses them on several of his Glocks, including his Production gun, & he loves it. Lighter and smaller diameter than the CGR or Novak.

I like Novak's fat stainless-steel rod which is cheap & comes with one Wolff spring. Almost as heavy as the CGR tungsten & without the binding problems:

http://handgunneroutlet.net/parts/part.htm

Not captured, but very easy to install in the gun. Also, if you buy more Wolff springs you will have to cut off the last coil as it winds to a smaller size - the size that fits the Wolff rod.

I'll try to put a photo of the Novak and the CGR rods on here, give me a day or so.

WildWest, Which brand of Tungsten rod was giving you a problem? I was planning to add a THE captured, but am curious if folks are having problems with these. Wonder if the THE with the Wolf recoil spring would be a good way to go.

Doug

It was the Glockmiester brand very displeased with his recoil rods! Do your self a favor and get the non captive one, I went to replace the spring the screw that holds it in dosent come out very easy on the captive rods. Hell the ends that sets in the barrel came loose and I still didnt get the screw loose! :blink: The non captive is abit of a hassel to get in at 1st but once you get the hang of it just as easy as the captive one IMO. I have returned

FOUR of his recoil rods all defective thats why I went to a diff companys recoil rods.

I just ordered a wolf rod and the 15,16, 17# springs for my 34. Generally shoot wwb or blazer, so I am thinking the 16# might be a good match with factory ammo and hopefully it will help a little with muzzle flip. I guess I will need to experiment with the springs, but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or caveates as to spring rate when shooting factory ammo?

Thanks,

Doug

See "vertical test" regarding recoil springs

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...690&hl=vertical

13 to 15lb is a range that's used a lot in our sport with Glocks.

Eric, thanks for the link; I will try that test once I get my rod/springs. Just seems that I heard some where that lighter springs are generally better when using lighter reloads. Since I am shooting 9mm factory ammo, thought it would be safer/more reliable with springs in the 15-17# range. Well, its easy enough to order the lighter ones if these don't function well.

I would stick with factory rated 17lbs because using lighter springs gives the idea of the sights coming down quicker. But it beats your gun up more cause the slide slames into the rail ect much harder. I also reload so I can make light recoil loads that shoot wonderful so thats a nother reason I run the stock rate spring. Just something to think about? :D

I currently use ISMI springs with captured Tun. guiderod in my G35 and must say they have not given me any functional problems at all, but I have to agree with Rocket 35. They feel very rough in the gun. Even my factory springs are much smoother in operation. When I order again I will go with the wolff springs and rod. Just my .2c worth.

post-354-1137763900_thumb.jpg

post-354-1137763918_thumb.jpg

Here are photos of the CGR tungsten and the Novak stainless rods. The Novak is the top of the top photo & the bottom of the bottom photo [oops, sorry] and as I've said weighs nearly as much as the CGR. However, only the CGR fits into the compensator lug of my Open glock. The Novak steel rod goes in the Limited gun. These are both G35-length rods.

The NHO rod is .269" diameter in front, .330" in back.

The CGR rod is .243" diameter all the way back.

You can see where the square-cut windings of the ISMI spring are cutting a groove into the CGR tungsten. I think this is a cause of malfunctions for many ppl who use this rod. Frequent emory-cloth touch-ups and a lot of SlideGlide have kept mine from having any feed-jams [zero] but I prefer the round design of the Wolff spring and the NHO rod.

I wonder if a factory-stock Glock recoil spring is cut any less square than ISMI???