Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Strange Problem With Fixed Sights Vs. Adjustable

Vlad

My buddy and forum member Raz-0 when out to the range tonite to introduce a co-worker of ours (who I will call J) to the shooting world. J just got himself a Glock and a Ruger .22 so we spent about 2.5 hours plinking and instructing him.

But we noticed something odd. Both of Raz-O and I shot J's Glock 19 and for both of us shot it at point of aim. We both hit exactly what we are aiming at without adjusting the sights or using any "windage". However if I shoot Raz-0's adjustable sighted Springfield I shoot it to the right and if he shoots my sight adjusted Buckmark he shoots it to the right. We are talking about about a few inches off at 75 feet, but consistant. I could understand why we shoot eachothers guns slightly off as we are different people with different eyes and different habits. But then ... Why do we both shoot the fixed sights gun to the same spot?

I'm so confused.

You have to pay more attention with the Glock trigger at 25 yds, so you're both pulling it better.

That actually makes a lot of sense. A factory trigger on a Glock 19 (which is small for both me and Raz-0) is not the best target trigger on earth so we migth have been paying a lot more attention.

I know this is an extreme example, but FWIW I'll share it anyway:

I used to shoot NRA Highpower rifle a lot, and I practiced with a fellow Distinguished High Master. If we swapped each others AR-15 rifles/ammo, at 600 yards we would have to make extreme sight changes to get the gun to hit the center of the target, I'm talking we would be feet off. Both of us were VERY seasoned shooters using carefully prepared custom rifles and handloaded, highly accurate ammo. He was about 20-30 years older than I, so maybe our eyes just saw the sights different.

Out of curiosity, where was the light coming from? My recollection is that there is a tendency to shoot toward the light, perhaps due to "shininess" on the edge of the front sight. The Glock, havinga polymer front sight may not display the same degree of "shininess". All this assuming you had the light from the right since you both shot to the right with other than the Glock.

Trigger control can play an important part as well.

Guy

Could be differences in your build vs your 2 friends. Different amounts of resistance to recoil and to torque. Not that it matters if you can adjust your sights.

For 2 ppl the same height, the heavier person will usually shoot lower point of impact. The person who grips their stronghand more will usually shoot more to the left.

Interesting. Sounds like 1 of you changes your technique going from centerfire to rimfire, more than the other 2.