Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C more RTS3

27 minutes ago, outerlimits said:

quick review...

nice package-nice add of the lens pen.  includes a real nice adjustment tool as well.  cover is much more pliable than the hard plastic of the rts2.  couple first impressions.  the adjustment buttons are a huge improvement.  rts2 buttons are squishy and you never knew which level you were on.  this one has real easy clicks for each setting, no question you are actually adjusting the levels.  the battery tray is seriously bulletproof.  there are two fully captured screws on the tray that require some serious attention,  documentation has a whole 1/2 page on how to remove and install the tray.  it is designed to hold up, period.  oh yeah, did I mention there is no locking screw for adjustments?  just the two elevation and windage screws!  off to the range, zeroed at my normal distance of 20 yds, then shot a group at 40 yds for drop dope.  shot 200 rounds then checked zero and 40 yd groups.  life is good-no movement.  

so, first impressions are good.  I like the huge window, just hope it doesn't make me lose target focus.  seems built like a tank, time will tell.  price may turn some off, but 30 yr warranty made this an easy choice for me. YMMV.

What dot size did you go with?

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

Why do you prefer the R3 XL?

Sorry to pester you with so many questions, but it’s a new, and expensive optic, and you are one of the few who happen to have one in hand…

I don’t think the rts3 is new tech. It just catches cmore up with where other optics have been for 5+ years. I don’t see anything about it that is an improvement, just a catch up.

The only thing I’d say is, the emitter is a lower refresh rate than the sig. It has a noticeable skip when moving fast. It’s probably very similar to what FTP uses. Some people are bothered by this, some aren’t. 

That said, if you aren’t already set up with current optics, it’s probably a decent choice, especially if you want the big dot. 

@Rich406: Thanks for thr pics. I've have a couple R3 XLs on my bottom feeders (semi autos) and love them, and and a couple RTS2s on my revos. I like that the RTS3 is taller than the XL but which I wider? I'm thinking the extra height would help picking up the dot on a weak hand array. 

Can anyone share a comparison pic of the RTS2 to the RTS3? 

On 10/18/2024 at 10:57 AM, Speedwagon said:

@Rich406: Thanks for thr pics. I've have a couple R3 XLs on my bottom feeders (semi autos) and love them, and and a couple RTS2s on my revos. I like that the RTS3 is taller than the XL but which I wider? I'm thinking the extra height would help picking up the dot on a weak hand array. 

Can anyone share a comparison pic of the RTS2 to the RTS3? 

At about 3.40 in video