Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noob question about saftey on 1911/2011 when running...

Got a noob question... 

When shooting a 1911/2011 in a match that requires running from one shooting area to another (distance wise, say more than 5 to 10 yards), are you suppose to engage the safety during the running?

I can see a scenario where one might trip and fall while running with the gun in the hand, or am I overthinking this? 

Thanks! 

Some people engage safety, most don't. You MUST have finger outside the trigger guard while moving (not engaging targets) so even if you fall it won't go off. 

When falling, the most important thing is to keep the muzzle direction under control and not to have finger anywhere near the trigger. Violate either of the two and it's a DQ, but it still doesn't create a catastrophic event. Gun safety is "layered" - violate ANY layer and it's a DQ, violate ALL layers and it's potentially catastrophic. 

The only time i flick the safety on during a stage is when I go prone. I'm 71 and it's not as easy for me to get up and down. For a little extra safety I use it then. But ot running around.

Once, I fell and "Superman-ned" the fall.  Landed prone at high-speed and skidded to a stop on my chest and belly.  In my mind, time slowed down and it took FOREVER to hit the ground.

I was shooting Merle Edington's backup Para-Ordnance racegun and it had a great trigger.  Halfway thru the fall, I had the wherewithal to apply the thumb safety just before impact.  I'm glad I did, because it was a violent hit.

Ever since then, I will flick the safety up on long runs.  "Two or three steps", and I won't.

Edited by Braxton1

8 minutes ago, Braxton1 said:

Once, I fell and "Superman-ned" the fall.  Landed prone at high-speed and skidded to a stop on my chest and belly.  In my mind, time slowed down and it took FOREVER to hit the ground.

I was shooting Merle Edington's backup Para-Ordnance racegun and it had a great trigger.  Halfway thru the fall, I had the wherewithal to apply the thumb safety just before impact.  I'm glad I did, because it was a violent hit.

Ever since then, I will flick the safety up on long runs.  "Two or three step", and I won't.

Yes, was thinking the same... short runs, no safety but make sure finger is off.  Long runs, finger off, click on the safety.  Thanks Braxton!

• 3 weeks later...

First things first. You can't overthink safety. That being said, I don't think I've seen anyone engage then disengage a safety while running between targets. Your real gun safety is set by keeping your finger out of the trigger guard until you engage a target. Simple right? No over thinking. 😀

16 hours ago, Youngeyes said:

First things first. You can't overthink safety. That being said, I don't think I've seen anyone engage then disengage a safety while running between targets. Your real gun safety is set by keeping your finger out of the trigger guard until you engage a target. Simple right? No over thinking. 😀

After the beep I do not reengage the safety. I keep it down with my thumb. I personally know no one who reactivates their safety, but if I remember correctly I once saw a video in which JJ Racaza stated he reactivates the safety during actual reloads ...