Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon or Mark 7???

On 8/29/2024 at 4:13 PM, shred said:

If you've never reloaded before, an 1100 or Mark 7 is going to be pretty daunting.  You might want to start with a simpler press and learn the basics there, then sell it on (or keep it around-- many here have more than one).

All you need is a mentor who knows what they are doing and you will be fine IF you have the mental capacity to learn. I wish I hadn't listened to anything that was told to me about reloading and went right straight to the 1050. Instead I wasted time and money. I have taught quite a few people to reload who are doing just fine running automated machines. Now I start on automated. Its about building a process.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/30/2024 at 2:01 PM, IVC said:

Progressive press isn't a problem for learning if you understand that you're setting up a system that will produce ammo at every handle pull, so every station must be set up and debugged before you can run it correctly. To set up the press, you have to set up each station the same way you would set it up on a single stage - put a round at the correct processing stage underneath and adjust everything at the station. In a way, there is no shortcut with either single stage of progressive. 

Automation, on the other hand, is something that requires not only setting up the press, but also understanding limitations of the specific press design. Case feeder can jam, decapping pin can break, primers can jam, multiple bullets can get dropped (or no bullet at all), bullets can fall off between drop and seating (depending on belling), etc. If you automate a process that isn't reliable, you'll have the machine monkey the press handle and churn out a mess. That's where different sensors and all sorts of additional gizmos kick in. It's also why you need extra stations - virtually all of them are used for detection of malfunctions, not for brass processing or loading. 

In short, get a good press and learn the process. If you're leaning towards automation in the future, I would go with Mark 7. Otherwise I would go with Dillon. If unsure, let your budget decide. 

If you do it all in one pass that is where you will have the most problems. I have a decapper, a roll sizer, a Dillon automated case processor and a super 1050 with Mark 7 autodirve. Over the years  I have fought issues with doing it in one pass and decided last year to take a commercial approach for my personal reloading. When I am actually reloading the only thing I am doing is putting powder in a case and seating a bullet. My brass is decapped, rolled, swaged, sized. expanded and primed before loading. I do cases in mass and have them in barrels ready to go. Loading this way makes it easy. I can run 2K a hour or more without dealing with anything other than bullets cases and powder, so much smoother.

Recently ditched Dillon sizing die after doing testing of the new FW Arms new resizing only die and their new expander die. Damn near perfect.

Get rid of the Dillon stock priming arm and get the FW Arms one, it solves so many issues and keeps the machine from ripping the primer magazine off the machine which can happen and it has happened twice to me when it jammed while priming and loading at same time. Same with shell plates get the FW Arms plates and life gets easier.

On 8/30/2024 at 7:22 PM, MikeyScuba said:

The powder check was one of the reasons I decided to drop $$ on an Evo.

On 8/31/2024 at 8:55 PM, AKJD said:

I bought the FW Arms prime time, now it runs without a problem. 

I use the primetime as well on my super 1050 with the mark 7 automation. However I set up for priming with a FW decapper in the second statione, Swagesense installed in the swager and then I only prime in this pass. I am running 2500 to 3000 a hour with the wife running the primer tube filler. I found over the years that powder always gets into the primer slide and causes issues. I am on a priming run right now and am at 13,000 cases primed on this run and have not had to tear down because of primer issues. Loading 100% processed and primed brass is where it is at. Now if a comapny can make a bullet feeder that doesn't feed upside down bullets I would be happy.

On 8/30/2024 at 6:49 PM, ReconNav said:

That one is important.  With just five stations, if you want a bullet feeder, you must choose between having a powder check/cop die, with combined seating & crimping, or giving up the powder check/cop, to keep seating & crimping at separate stations. 

The 650, 750, and the Hornady Lock-n-Load AP, all limit the user that way.  If you want to get more than 5 stations, and avoid the necessary compromise, you're mostly looking at much more expensive options, or the Lee Six Pack, which while less expensive is not in the same league as the 650, 750, or LnL AP.

The OP is looking for info, and should get the correct info in response.

Now if you think outside the box you can use a mark 7 mechanical powder measure on the swaging station of the 1050, a powder check on the original powder drop location followed by a bullet feeder, seat  and then crimp.

My 2 cents (and probably worth less than that) 

Started on a 650 ages ago to load 9 major when the Mrs wanted to shoot open and still running it today with a few more tool heads. I'd echo many here... If patient, methodical, and a bit of mechanical sense are present, the progressive isn't a problem to start on. Wish I'd gotten a 1050 out of the gate dont suspect it would have been much worse of a learning curve. Ymmv. 

The Mark 7 on the Dillon 1050 is a piece of JUNK. The software is so buggy, it crashes mid way through reloading. Then it won't connect to the autodrive and you need to unplug everything, close the tablet and wait about 30 minutes for everything to re-connect. Seriously, its garbage and I have had one since the very first  series. In fact mine crashed and burned and Mark 7 told me that mine was so old it was a prototype and I had to buy a new board to get it working again. What kind of BS is that. Seriously, it's garbage don't waste your money.

18 minutes ago, nuclearheli said:

The Mark 7 on the Dillon 1050 is a piece of JUNK. The software is so buggy, it crashes mid way through reloading. Then it won't connect to the autodrive and you need to unplug everything, close the tablet and wait about 30 minutes for everything to re-connect. Seriously, its garbage

Really!!!!

I just ran 13k at 3000 round an hour and the Mark 7 auto drive on my 1050 worked flawlessly. 

Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder.