Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 Trigger Job - Weight and Expectations

I'd like to preface that I am in no way blaming or complaining about the services I received from such a reputable company that has served our community for so many years and continues to do so. I am looking for opinions and wanting to gain knowledge.

I recently acquired a 2016 Tanfoglio Stock 2. It was well used but never abused and had roughly 20k rounds through it. The previous owner had sent the gun out to Jim Bodkin for a trigger job back in the days of Production being the hot division to shoot.

The parts list that was used for said trigger job:

Xtreme Titan Hammer

Xtreme Interrupter

Xtreme Trigger Bar

Xtreme Plunger/TB Guide

Xtreme DA Trigger

Xtreme Firing Pin

Xtreme one piece sear

CGW Floating Trigger Pin

Reduced power TRS

Reduced power sear spring

14# hammer spring

This setup was yielding a 6.5# pull in DA and a 2.5# SA. I was happy with this, but the take up left a lot to be desired, so I figured what the hell? I'll send it off to PD to get it done right. Complete refresh sounded good.

Sent the gun off to PD and selected the option for their competition fire control group and optimized tuning package that includes polishing on parts and the areas of the frame where necessary.

Parts list:

Xtreme Titan Hammer

Xtreme one piece sear

PD R7 Interrupter

PD Extended Firing Pin + optimized spring

Xtreme Modified FPB

14# PD hammer spring

New springs all around, but the same weights as before. Any parts not listed were used from original list as they deemed suitable/serviceable.

The gun came back and with spec sheet and it is now pulling at 7# 11oz on average in DA and 3# 7oz on SA. The take up is no longer as long, but I did not expect the weight of the trigger to increase when I had this service performed. The DA is also experiencing stacking which is did not prior to the refresh of springs and trigger work. Is what I am experiencing normal or expected? Will the trigger weight break-in/settle over time with use? Is this the trade off if I was looking for a shorter takeup and reset?

I have a second gun that I was planning to send out for work, but I'm not sure if I want to do that if I am content with the current characteristics of the trigger.

Edited by e4effort

Well the comparison is you have a 20k rounds on a well used pistol using a 14lbs hammer spring. 

The 14lbs brand new hammer spring will be right around the 7lbs DA. It will take few thousands round before it settles and softens... 

If you are trying to chase the old feel and poundage it will be plenty of trial and error, changing spring combinations, etc. 

If you reload you can even use lower hammer spring rate than that. But you will have strict diet of federal primers only. 

Believe it or not, you can even have less than 5lbs on your DA but it is a mute point in my humble opinion. In a competitiveness world we live in I would rather have a positively heavy DA than a lighter one. 

Also, be careful if you will shooting Ipsc with it. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Yagi said:

Well the comparison is you have a 20k rounds on a well used pistol using a 14lbs hammer spring. 

The 14lbs brand new hammer spring will be right around the 7lbs DA. It will take few thousands round before it settles and softens... 

If you are trying to chase the old feel and poundage it will be plenty of trial and error, changing spring combinations, etc. 

If you reload you can even use lower hammer spring rate than that. But you will have strict diet of federal primers only. 

Believe it or not, you can even have less than 5lbs on your DA but it is a mute point in my humble opinion. In a competitiveness world we live in I would rather have a positively heavy DA than a lighter one. 

Also, be careful if you will shooting Ipsc with it. 

Yes, that is why I prefaced that the gun was well worn-in and felt great. I still have the old parts so I could always throw them back in to see if I can get it to feel like the way it did before. I have a steady supply of CCI primers that have worked flawlessly when I first acquired the gun. I put about 500 rounds through it and it had 1-2 light strikes. May have been a primer depth issue, but I have doubt, which is why I sent it in for a trigger job and fresh springs. Currently loading on a RL1050.

I had originally planned to even use a 15.5# hammer spring, as I also have a large quantity of Ginex primers on hand, but figured I'd cross that road when the time came. I concur with you that chasing light triggers is not the way to go and I am more than happy with a heavier DA at benefit of reliability. I just wanted to make sure the regression in trigger weight was normal and whether it would settle.

Edited by e4effort

Certainly your 1050 will be great in seating your primers in uniformity. 

I had great luck with Aventuras primers even with my 6lbs DA. But I too have a 1050 reloader. 

Your plunger spring plays a big role as well in trigger pull. 

Good luck on your quest. 

I have had personal experience with PD in regards to gunsmithing and customer service, it has always been solid. Talk to them if you have questions/issues. From my experience i can tell you a few things...

After all new spring refresh, my DA drops about half a pound after few hundred rounds. After 15k rounds, which i typically change out all new springs, the trigger is about a pound lighter in DA and half a pound in SA.

Why didn't you use the bolo if all that work was being done anyways? From my experience, the bolo has zero stack and will typically drop my DA half a pound, zero pre travel in SA. My triggers have always felt worse with the R5 or R7. 

Also, did the original hammer spring have a coil cut? That was very common back in the day.... Using a Wolff 14 lb spring with coil cut.

Edited by Polymer

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Polymer said:

I have had personal experience with PD in regards to gunsmithing and customer service, it has always been solid. Talk to them if you have questions/issues. From my experience i can tell you a few things...

After all new spring refresh, my DA drops about half a pound after few hundred rounds. After 15k rounds, which i typically change out all new springs, the trigger is about a pound lighter in DA and half a pound in SA.

Why didn't you use the bolo if all that work was being done anyways? From my experience, the bolo has zero stack and will typically drop my DA half a pound, zero pre travel in SA. My triggers have always felt worse with the R5 or R7. 

Also, did the original hammer spring have a coil cut? That was very common back in the day.... Using a Wolff 14 lb spring with coil cut.

Thanks for that information.

I was originally planning to get the BOLO, but was advised against it by seasoned local shooters. I'm not sure if there was a coil cut from the old spring. I could compare how many coils were on the old one, but since the PD spring is different, I'm not sure that will tell us much.

With all that said, I understand that Tanfo frames can vary a lot. Can anyone verify whether these guns will eventually get to the 5-6# DA with use or is that just a luck of the draw when it comes to frames?

Edited by e4effort

Been using a bolo in my stock 2s without any issues. I did my own polishing and 14 pound springs with DA at 7# and SA at 2.5#. Bolo dropped right in without any mods. 

My guns set up like yours, with bolo, 14 lb hammer spring are low 6 lb DA. It is so smooth and zero stacking it almost feels lighter.

I would get the bolo and fit it to your gun if you think you can do it. 

What I would do is put your old hammer spring back and test for trigger pull if you can get your old numbers back.  If so then you have your answer.

Depending on how studious you are, you can also try replacing each part, ONE BY ONE with the old parts to see at which point you get the old pull weights back.

I totally get you though - if it were me, It would drive me crazy too and I would want to know exactly where in the process the weight drastically increased.

4 hours ago, Polymer said:

My guns set up like yours, with bolo, 14 lb hammer spring are low 6 lb DA. It is so smooth and zero stacking it almost feels lighter.

I would get the bolo and fit it to your gun if you think you can do it. 

Mine pops fiocchi s 100%
buried deep and unis Ginex primers if buried deep. I also have a pd heavy firing pin. Factory firing was not reliable with fiocchi s

On 8/22/2024 at 12:22 PM, e4effort said:

I was originally planning to get the BOLO, but was advised against it by seasoned local shooters.

I don't know who these "seasoned local shooters" are but the BOLO works fine in all my TFs. Like all disconnectors/interrupter they have to be tuned to the specific gun. I have had only one which "dropped in" and ran. The rest, including the newer "R" series needed to be fitted.

As far as the trigger #s going up after an update from PD, that seems a bit strange. The key to an optimized pull isn't just the hammer spring weight. I have always had a sub-7# DA and sub-3# SA with the 15.5# spring. How? polish everything that touches and rubs. This includes the trigger bar plunger. We are talking shiny super smooth polish, not just some 800 grit paper or running a buffing tip with Fritz on it. Do not polish the sear edge or the hammer hooks.

As far as "stacking" in DA goes, well it's a Tanfoglio with a very short hammer spring and at acceptable weights it will stack. If you want a really smooth DA get a Shadow 2 (Which is what I did).