Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger 10/22 barrel band, does it do anything?

Cuz

What is the purpose of the barrel band on the Ruger 10/22?  Is it needed?  Does it affect accuracy?  My kids compact models and Sporter don’t have the band.  I’m about to get one next week that has a band on it, but I just don’t like the way it looks. Is it decorative or does it have a function?

Thanks

@Cuz

Caveat: Our 10/22s are older production. New receivers might be different. 

The aluminum barrel band does add stability between the barreled action and the stock. 

Yes, you can remove it. Probably without much trouble. If yours is a plastic stock model I wouldn’t worry a bit about removing the barrel band.  

Here’s what we did with wood stock carbines.   Remove barrel band. Drill a 1/4” hole in back of receiver (allows cleaning from chamber to bore and provides a port for second hold down).  Place a brass round head #10 wood  screw inside aft end of stock so the hole in yhe receiver sit over the screw. That anchors the receiver in a second point. Lastly,

glass bed the receiver and first 3 inches of barrel into the stock. It’s all easier to do than to type out. 

6 minutes ago, practical_man said:

@Cuz

Caveat: Our 10/22s are older production. New receivers might be different. 

The aluminum barrel band does add stability between the barreled action and the stock. 

Yes, you can remove it. Probably without much trouble. If yours is a plastic stock model I wouldn’t worry a bit about removing the barrel band.  

Here’s what we did with wood stock carbines.   Remove barrel band. Drill a 1/4” hole in back of receiver (allows cleaning from chamber to bore and provides a port for second hold down).  Place a brass round head #10 wood  screw inside aft end of stock so the hole in yhe receiver sit over the screw. That anchors the receiver in a second point. Lastly,

glass bed the receiver and first 3 inches of barrel into the stock. It’s all easier to do than to type out. 

Thanks, that seems like a bit of effort for a steel challenge rifle. I doubt I’ll ever clean the barrel with anything more than a bore snake, so no need for the drilled receiver. I’m sure I’ll end up replacing the rifle stock with something lightweight, but not sure which just yet. 
I was more wondering if the receiver and barrel combo was different on a banded rifle than on one without the band, but I don’t think so, so it shouldn’t really matter. 

Well, not looks only, it was a convenient way to put a sling swivel on it, and it looked cool to the designer. Take it off without fear!