Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge PST Formula Needed

JM_

Steel Challenge did pretty good for 20+ years before USPSA bought it without any classifications at all.

But, people like classifications, people like a zillion divisions, so USPSA caters to that.

Here is a rough draft of the proposed peak Times and theories used to generate the data in a resonable way. 

Feel free to crituique it in anyway. The statistical difficulty was the result of using WSSC data and all more restrictive divisions having faster peak times than the lesser restrictive counterparts. Common sense says OPN should always be faster than CO, RFRO should always be faster than RFRI etc...

Podcast coming soon which will dig into the details and theories beheind this process.

Screenshot2024-07-29135823.thumb.png.a3ba8484ff9a4991bc9c18abdb0f1c7c.pngScreenshot2024-07-29135523.thumb.png.a696198b306a308c1da8d76bb3587706.pngScreenshot2024-07-29135531.thumb.png.1e38d1d8f3a37259778c3af12d33ad16.pngScreenshot2024-07-29135538.thumb.png.ce572fc568dd1433a0f3012fd9812386.png

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Hoops said:

@JM_ I don’t see SS in the list of divisions/PST

I sure did, but guess what, you can get it yourself ;) Take 113% of the OPN Peak Time 

Edited by JM_

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I sure did, but guess what, you can get it yourself ;) Take 113% of the OPN Peak Time 

Got it.

I ran out stage times for RFRO and they look reasonable.  I like your assessment/method for calculating each stage.  

I will run out stages for each of the other divisions then comment later on the presentation.  The presentation is well thought out and transparent which is good.

Back to you later.

Thank you

@JM_  Inserted below is a revised table based on your recalculation of 2024 PST's.  I am 99.99% the calculations are correct and what I believe is the basis of your review.  Hopefully folks will go over the table and point out any changes that I may have missed.

image.thumb.png.2f0299510031c37c3c6747c9df7b560d.png

4 minutes ago, Hoops said:

@JM_  Inserted below is a revised table based on your recalculation of 2024 PST's.  I am 99.99% the calculations are correct and what I believe is the basis of your review.  Hopefully folks will go over the table and point out any changes that I may have missed.

image.thumb.png.2f0299510031c37c3c6747c9df7b560d.png

My mistake with SS. Its actually 118% of OPN, and LTD is 113%. It was correct on the paper but I responded incorrectly.

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

My mistake with SS. Its actually 118% of OPN, and LTD is 113%. It was correct on the paper but I responded incorrectly.

adjusted.

image.thumb.png.db40c9785a7b5885b9fee706bdf7ef64.png

@JM_ I guess the next question now is…..what next?  Is this being seriously discussed with SC Director and any Board members?

20 minutes ago, Hoops said:

@JM_ I guess the next question now is…..what next?  Is this being seriously discussed with SC Director and any Board members?

I chatted with A8 Director/VP personally at A8 SCSA and made it clear there was a problem and we we're creating something. He was all for hearing it out before the end the of year. Presumptively that means it wouldn't be impossible to overturn the current voted on times. Next steps is to drum up support. Myself and Bradd are going to do a podcast and drill through all the data and theories behind this and send it through the Facebook jungle which will get a lot of eyes on it and feedback. From there I can work with Zack on getting it approved by the committee. I'm already friends with all the committee members so it'll be easy to work with them and try to figure it out. Benefits of being the fast guy :). We are on the right path with this, and the proper people are going to get eyes on it.

23 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I chatted with A8 Director/VP personally at A8 SCSA and made it clear there was a problem and we we're creating something. He was all for hearing it out before the end the of year. Presumptively that means it wouldn't be impossible to overturn the current voted on times. Next steps is to drum up support. Myself and Bradd are going to do a podcast and drill through all the data and theories behind this and send it through the Facebook jungle which will get a lot of eyes on it and feedback. From there I can work with Zack on getting it approved by the committee. I'm already friends with all the committee members so it'll be easy to work with them and try to figure it out. Benefits of being the fast guy :). We are on the right path with this, and the proper people are going to get eyes on it.

Good luck with the discussion.  The changes for PST's are administrative in that there is no specific language in the By-Laws.  The explanations regarding PST's in the classification section does not provide a clear and definitive procedure for execution.  Keep us updated on progress.  Thanks

49 minutes ago, JM_ said:

First off: great seeing you this weekend.  You did well.  Second:  I recall speaking with you about this as well and that you were working on something.  Glad to see it in writing for it to make sense.  

On 7/30/2024 at 11:30 AM, JM_ said:

From there I can work with Zack on getting it approved by the committee. 

Clarification here - the committee doesn't approve anything. We discuss and I present to the BoD BoD who makes the final decision. 

Good start.  Jesse put in a lot of time and effort with his analysis.  It’s not an easy process.  Hopefully members will respond via email to BOD’s.