Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

'cheap' 2011 magazines

I don't see the logic in buying cheap mags for practice and good mags for matches.  Just buy good mags and use them for everything.  You cannot wear them out.  Just change springs every now and then.

2 hours ago, lefty o said:

the springfield prodigy mags(aka duramag) have been good to me so far. if you shop around $35ish a pop.

I can't speak to longevity but the ones I tried worked perfectly right out of the package.

2 hours ago, lefty o said:

the springfield prodigy mags(aka duramag) have been good to me so far. if you shop around $35ish a pop.

I couldn't get the 20 rounder to work with the MPA magwell so had to use a thin baseplate from the smaller mag but it worked. Just turned it into a $60 mag at that point. 

Edited by truespode

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I don't see the logic in buying cheap mags for practice and good mags for matches.  Just buy good mags and use them for everything.  You cannot wear them out.  Just change springs every now and then.

If you're doing a lot of reload practice on concrete or rocky ground they'll get dinged up and need retuning eventually, but otherwise they last a very long time.  I've been using some STI and SV mags since the early 1990s and they just keep on trucking.

55 minutes ago, truespode said:

I couldn't get the 20 rounder to work with the MPA magwell so had to use a thin baseplate from the smaller mag but it worked. Just turned it into a $60 mag at that point. 

You just needed to trim the top part of the factory prodigy base pad. Same thing you got to do if you have an egw mag well on The prodigy.

And to the op, my prodigy mags have worked fine in my prodigy. Only got about 3,500 rounds through the whole gun at this point, but absolutely no issues with the prodigy mags

38 minutes ago, RJH said:

You just needed to trim the top part of the factory prodigy base pad. Same thing you got to do if you have an egw mag well on The prodigy.

egw has a newer gen magwell for the prodigy. works fine with the bases on the 20's, and works with the dawson basepads for prodigy mags.

21 hours ago, zzt said:

Same here! I've got 4 SV 40 S&W mags that I bought back during the 'assault rifle' ban (I was a cop at the time) that I've been using for 25 years for competition and practice. The Dawson base pads that are on them have been on them most of that time too. Using them for practice has never affected their functionality while competing and vice versa. I just don't get the concept of having different sets of mags for practice and competition.

On 7/23/2024 at 8:15 PM, RJH said:

Ditto, I put a different grip on my Prodigy with a bigger magwell, and the 20rnd magazines wouldn't work - but the base pad just needed to be trimmed down - as best as I can tell all that extra plastic doesn't do anything - I trimmed mine down and they work fine - at least over the 1-2k rounds I've sent downrange so far.