Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended mid tier competition pistols

In the budget category you can not do better than a S&W Competitor in my humble opinion. Their reliability, as well as the improvement you get when you install an apex trigger, cannot be matched for the price. I used to run an M&P CORE in USPSA and 3 gun and did all the work on it... it took quite a bit of tuning....but this year I got a competitor and put the apex and all the internal upgrades in, and the only tweak was putting back the factory trigger return spring instead of the apex one to get the trigger pull weight down to 2.75lbs, and thats it. Thing has been perfect. I will say the competitor model is a *bit* of a scam in some regards.. the magwell has an obnoxious thing in the back of it that makes it impossible to use certain basepads like the cheap TTI ones, and the mags it comes with look like they have base pads but don't... I used some dremmel magic to make them work...and then realized that the taylor freelance might have worked from the beginning because i got one of theirs(the +10 one just to fool around with). Also the factory trigger is what pissed me off a little. Its the new MP 2.0 trigger....which is supposed to be awesome, and is definitely a vast improvement over the older gens...but after measuring i found that the takeup and pull weight was lower on my MP shield! Which is pretty hilarious. But either way didnt matter I got the apex, and the newer apex triggers in the competitor are easier to install than the older ones in the gen 1. Those installs were TOUGH. This one took me 30 mins(could also be because ive done like 10 apex installs over the years). The other thing is, you get a metal frame, but not a metal frame that matters. its aluminium. its lightweight. it has no machined in texture. Thats why I say its a little scammy. also the loaded chamber indicator is right in front of the optic cut and blows crap upward all over the optic window. Which is annoying. Can be fixed by running an SRO or by some strategic JB weld but I havent gotten around to it yet. But overall for what it is, I love the thing. 

Canik's are still an absolute crapshoot. I see one choke at least once per match. I don't care what the fan boys say. For every good one there's a terrible one. 

M&P's just flat out run. the guns are reliable, the mags are reliable, the mag extensions and springs are reliable. 

I asked this question in the LO page on FB and a very knowledgeable individual said regarding the Prodigy: 

Recent serial number prodigies still have issues.
Safeties still walk out and are squishy in the down position, still to much cerakote in the disco hole, timing still isn’t right, chambers still aren’t finished..
I just finished 2 5” Prodigies. Both with “gen 2” slides (mass removed) and had a box new early 5” to compare with.

CZ's I've seen have a fair amount of problems at matches I've been at. That's purely anecdotal I know nothing about those guns but ive had a couple close friends tell me that the upgraded parts just wear out relatively quickly. 

I ended up going with an MPA DS9 hybrid shortly after buying the competitor because I found one for $2200 plus some trade equivalent to $400 from a guy locally. I posted in the fb LO page that deal and had like 50 people tell me jump on it instead of messing with a prodigy or staccato. I am extremely happy with my purchase. The thing runs like a dog with all kinds of ammo. Its my first 2011 so there's a bit of a learning curve, but 'im absolutely in love. Feel like its the perfect entry into the 2011 platform. The earlier SN's had some problems but they've been very sqaured away for quite some time and if you get one that has any issues apparently MPA has some Vortex-level good customer service. 

-V

On 7/14/2024 at 8:32 PM, Benk907 said:

As I’m getting more involved in uspsa and other competition shooting, I’m wanting to get a dedicated competition pistol. I’m not terribly concerned with the division it puts me in, I currently shoot a p320 xcarry in limited (because it has a magwell) some options I’m considering are

CZ shadow 2

Springfield DS Prodigy

Sig p320 DH3

S&W m&p Competitor

I would like to stay in the 1000-1500 range, preferably more toward the low side of that. Thanks for any suggestions!

This auction will be very likely be won for under $1,100. 
you’d have a very hard time finding a package like this in this price range.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1062476538

On 7/18/2024 at 7:49 AM, Chutist said:

Okay... You'll have to pick a division to really refine the choices. 

If you want the most people to shoot with /against, you're going to be shooting CO. 

Skip the Canik S - Love the feel, good trigger, reliability issues.  I spent two months trying to sort mine out.  Never 100% reliable.

Shadow is a safe bet but not the "latest".  My EX shot one so I don't even like to touch them now....😅

Sig X5 Legion - has great stock sights, soft shooting, lots of support. Mine has run like a top since I got it.  Shot it Tuesday Night at an indoor match after two months on the Canik S.  It's shoots soft and runs 100%. 😉 Not sure why I ever got the Canik...🙄. The Legion frame is has tungsten in it.  It's a hybrid,  flex of polymer, weight of metal frame.  For competition, it's the P320 you want - > P320 Max is a variation of the X5 with the optic already on it.  If you want to shoot CO that's the one to get in the P320 line.

Many of the Shadow guys have moved on to the new hotness... Walther PDP Steel Frame Match.  Might be at the top of the price range you gave but it's ready to go out of the box.  Comes with the factory Trigger upgrade.  I'm likely going to try one.... I should just keep shooting the X5 but I'm a hopeless gear Ho. 😁 If you don't like the weight, there is a cheaper lighter PDP Match polymer 

On the low end - Glock 47 or 34, snappy but it shoots well. Apex trigger and a Holosun 507 comp will get you a long way in CO.🙂. I'm favoring the 47 over my 34 at the moment.  The shorter gun feels faster handling.  Shooting a dot, the 34's longer slide isn't an advantage.....

I've shot all of these and have the X5, Canik, G34 and G45 in the safe.  I took the X5 to the last match but I could have taken a Glock.  Results would have been the same. 😉  

For the Dot, you can't go wrong with the Holosun 507 Comp. I have Canik ME03, Sig Max, and FOUR of the Holosun's on different guns.  Start there.... 😉

and now I can add my thoughts on the Walther PDP Match.

First off I'm at 700+ rounds and no malfunctions of any type.  That's with me swapping recoil springs, guide rods, magazine set ups.  Even 24 +1 in the gun, no problems.  

Gun is heavy and soft shooting.  With the ZR Tactical Long stroke guide rod even softer.  It's all perception, but the "long stroke" give another inch or so of spring length to progressively absorb the firing pulse.  

Stock grips were a bit slick to my so I put a set of Lok palm swell Boogies on it and they are just right for me.

Topped off with the HOLOSUN 507 Comp.  

After trying them all ->This is the gun I'll shoot for the next year 😎

image.thumb.png.2782d4eaeeed9e2f3371bc36cd1415b9.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2024 at 5:32 PM, Benk907 said:

As I’m getting more involved in uspsa and other competition shooting, I’m wanting to get a dedicated competition pistol. I’m not terribly concerned with the division it puts me in, I currently shoot a p320 xcarry in limited (because it has a magwell) some options I’m considering are

CZ shadow 2

Springfield DS Prodigy

Sig p320 DH3

S&W m&p Competitor

I would like to stay in the 1000-1500 range, preferably more toward the low side of that. Thanks for any suggestions!

I would go from your list a Shadow 2 or M&P. Shadows are great CO guns but do require some tuning and can be finicky. m&P imo isn’t as good but also doesn’t really require much and will run. 

one gun you might want to consider is Walther PDP 4.5 or 5” and if you could swing your the steel frame version, but even if not start with the normal one and if you like it pick up a steel frame later and keep the original one as a backup