Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Half size IPSC targets

According to IPSC Handgun rules, only full size and Mini paper targets are legal. (Micro is for other disciplines or practice)

""""""""""""""""""""""""

4.1.1 Only targets approved by the IPSC Assembly and which fully comply with the specifications in Appendices B and C are to be used for IPSC Handgun matches.
4.1.1.2 There are two sizes of paper targets and poppers approved for use in IPSC matches (see Appendices B and C). IPSC Mini Targets and Mini Poppers are used to simulate IPSC Targets and Poppers placed at greater distances.

""""""""""""""""""""""""

But

""""""""""""""""""""""""

4.1.1.1 If one or more targets at a match fail to comply exactly with the stated specifications, and if replacement targets of the correct specifications are unavailable, the Range Master must decide whether or not the variance is acceptable for that match, and which provisions of Section 2.3 of these rules will apply, if any. However, the Range Master's decision will only affect the match in progress, and will not serve as a precedent for future matches held at the same location, or for any
subsequent use of the subject targets at another match.

""""""""""""""""""""""""

Also, you cannot mix full size and mini paper targets in the same target array, nor full size and mini IPSC poppers.

You are missing 4.2 which make them completely legal, 4.2.3.2 specifically.

4.2.3 When the scoring area of a paper target is to be partially hidden, Course Designers must simulate hard cover
in one of the following ways:
4.2.3.1 By actually hiding a portion of the target (see Rule 4.1.4.1); or
4.2.3.2 By physically cutting targets from edge to edge to remove the portion deemed to be hidden by hard
cover. Such targets must be fitted with a replacement 0.5 cm (Mini Targets 0.3 cm) non-scoring
border, which must extend the full width of the edge of the cut scoring area (see Rule 4.2.2); or
4.2.3.3 By painting or taping, with a sharply defined boundary, the portion of the target deemed to be
hidden by hard cover with a single and visibly contrasting color.
4.2.3.4 When paper targets are partially hidden, physically cut, painted and/or taped, at least a portion of
all scoring zones must remain visible.

There's no such thing as a half size IPSC target.

Yes there is.

USPSA allows half-size "IPSC" targets all day long.  I suspect that's what Sarge was asking about and what I've also looked into and been unable to find.

4.2.1.1    Half-sized targets of either type are approved at all match levels and may be used together with full-size targets of same type on a course of fire. Half-sized USPSA targets can be covered with hard cover or no-shoots as long as 50% or more of the lower A-zone is visible.  Half-sized IPSC targets can be covered with hard cover or no-shoots as long as 50% or more of the A-zone is visible (see Appendix B1).Half-sized targets may not be mounted onto full-sized no-shoot targets or used as no-shoots on full-sized scoring targets. Restrictions on angle of placement still apply for IPSC targets.

image.thumb.jpeg.f4326c1ff3f5be8b0a57afa98bb34e05.jpeg

5 hours ago, xrayfk05 said:

You are missing 4.2 which make them completely legal, 4.2.3.2 specifically.

4.2.3.2 By physically cutting targets from edge to edge to remove the portion deemed to be hidden by hard
cover. Such targets must be fitted with a replacement 0.5 cm (Mini Targets 0.3 cm) non-scoring
border, which must extend the full width of the edge of the cut scoring area (see Rule 4.2.2); or

That is not a half size IPSC target. It is a partial IPSC target.

10 minutes ago, shred said:

Yes there is.

USPSA allows half-size "IPSC" targets all day long.  I suspect that's what Sarge was asking about and what I've looked into and been unable to find.

image.thumb.jpeg.f4326c1ff3f5be8b0a57afa98bb34e05.jpeg

image.png

Oh.... USPSA has invented an IPSC target that is not "legal" for IPSC...

4 minutes ago, perttime said:

Oh.... USPSA has invented an IPSC target that is not "legal" for IPSC...

IPSC has a long tradition of banning targets and placements USPSA likes to use for political correctness reasons.  

52 minutes ago, perttime said:

That is not a half size IPSC target. It is a partial IPSC target.

Ack,  I was thinking Sarge meant half targets as in with the bottom cut-off, not 50% size targets.

In IPSC you are  stuck with 100% or 60% which is why you probably don't see any 50% for sale.

31 minutes ago, xrayfk05 said:

Ack,  I was thinking Sarge meant half targets as in with the bottom cut-off, not 50% size targets.

In IPSC you are  stuck with 100% or 60% which is why you probably don't see any 50% for sale.

Actually I mean the ones listed in the USPSA rulebook. Described as half size IPSC. All of the targets linked in this thread are not the size indicated in the rulebook. 

57 minutes ago, perttime said:

Does USPSA allow the IPSC Mini target (60%)?

Not sure but they do allow “half size.”

I wonder if they know there is no such thing?

image.thumb.png.e5919c99fd639de3acd9c87d8b5853b1.png

I have one made with a laser as a dry-fire target.  Wouldn't be hard to pop out more although they wouldn't be real cheap.

From match experience, you use up a small target much faster than a full size. So, you need to replace them more often. Of course, the same goes for partial targets and ones with tight N/S targets over them. 

Yeah, its standard practice to have extra USPSA's on-hand whenever there's an "upper A/B"-only partial target.  I doubt most club matches are going to run all minis, they'll likely throw one or two in on a stage every once in a while since they can do that in USPSA.  Few clubs have many target stands for 1/2-size targets anyway.

I find them most interesting when used at medium to short ranges as people often don't give them sufficient respect if they're physically nearby.