Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Mag Modification Taylor Freelance

Hi All,

I’ve been using TF Goliath XL with Federal TSJ 130g ammo, but even after typical mag and follower mods/tuning, I still get feed issues, specifically with full mags.  When I inspect mis-fed ammo it almost seems like it doesn’t clear the front tab of mag (I see indentation on flat face of bullet).  Anyone modified this area of mag (I haven seen any DIYs that touch this area)?  When I’ve tried full mag of Blazer 124g, I have no problems.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

So you have problems with the flattish tip Federal ammo and no problems with the round nose Blazer?

Correct. With less full mag ( I usually run my “full” mine at 50), I can get the TSJs to feed (maybe around 20 or so), but can get a full mag to feed with Blazer. I feel like the front of the follower doesn’t have as much lift when at capacity.  I’ve tried full 17 round mags with TSJs with no problems.

Edited by JPFiver

I would be willing to bet the syntech is a longer OAL than the blazer due to the weight of the bullet and the fact that the TSJ is probably a longer bullet. Measure the federal compared to the blazer and see how long they are. TF states right on the instructions to run the ammo at 1.125 or shorter for smooth function throughout the extension. I had the same issue with my dads mag until I loaded some shorter for him.  

1 hour ago, xjwalt666 said:

I would be willing to bet the syntech is a longer OAL than the blazer due to the weight of the bullet and the fact that the TSJ is probably a longer bullet. Measure the federal compared to the blazer and see how long they are. TF states right on the instructions to run the ammo at 1.125 or shorter for smooth function throughout the extension. I had the same issue with my dads mag until I loaded some shorter for him.  

100% this ^^^^

On 7/6/2024 at 7:56 PM, JPFiver said:

Correct. With less full mag ( I usually run my “full” mine at 50), I can get the TSJs to feed (maybe around 20 or so), but can get a full mag to feed with Blazer. I feel like the front of the follower doesn’t have as much lift when at capacity.  I’ve tried full 17 round mags with TSJs with no problems.

Congratulations ... you diagnosed the TF Goliath Xproblem and discovered a solution.  Just run Blazer ammo.

From the TFwebsite:

NOTE: For use with genuine Glock magazines.

NOTE: Works best with ammunition no longer than 1.125". 147-grain bullets and "Winchester White Box" ammunition specifically not recommended. (The extension is built slightly undersize to accommodate quirks in the way Glock magazines are made.)

NOTE: Our friend Josh Froelich has posted a great video showing how to "tune" your Glock mags along with our Goliath magazine extensions for flawless operation.  Thanks Josh! Https://youtu.be/WjCiFXlnnyE