Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPA DS9 LO Trigger Guard Tearing up My Support Hand Index Finger

Posted (edited)

I have always competed using polymer framed striker fired guns. My first Double Stack 1911 for competition is the MPA DS9 LO. During my dry fire the index finger on my support hand is getting brutally beat up by the trigger guard. This happens when building my grip during the draw. Yesterday I filleted it good. Is anyone else experiencing this or is my technique just wrong?

Edited by Nightforce

• Nightforce changed the title to MPA DS9 LO Trigger Guard Tearing up My Support Hand Index Finger
Posted (edited)

Sounds like you are building a new callus in a spot you previously didn't have one. Stock STI plastic grips and metal grips all vary in contouring and shape. You will create new "Hot spots" on your hands when you change things up. Even going from a plastic 2011 grip to a metal 2011 grip can cause what you are experiencing. Changing platforms entirely will exaggerate this even more. 

Tape up and push thru it. It'll sort itself out in a few weeks of dry / live fire. 

Edited by Maximis228

26 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Sounds like you are building a new callus in a spot you previously didn't have one. Stock STI plastic grips and metal grips all vary in contouring and shape. You will create new "Hot spots" on your hands when you change things up. Even going from a plastic 2011 grip to a metal 2011 grip can cause what you are experiencing. Changing platforms entirely will exaggerate this even more. 

Tape up and push thru it. It'll sort itself out in a few weeks of dry / live fire. 

I will tape up and push forward.

My lsi outlaw grip isn't bad but during extended dry fire sessions it does the same thing to my support index finger, if it's raw I'll tape it up but otherwise just give it time and you'll develop a nice callous where your finger rides 

It'll probably work itself out as your hands get used to things. You can also take a file, sandpaper or a Dremel to the gun if you're feeling frisky. I'm not opposed to softening up some sharp edges on a new gun.  

I 1000% have this same problem. You could consider changing your grip a bit so your index finger is flat on the grip. Or, you have use a bandaid to cover the callus. I honestly pushed through until the callus formed and now I’m ok. 

Bust out the Dremel and round off the sharp edges that are beating up your finger(s). I treat all of my guns as if they were tools. If the tool isn't working as it should I modify it so that it works as it should. There is "Looking Good" and there is "Performing Good". Which one do you want?

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will tape up the finger, work on building the new callus, and investigate how the finger lands under the trigger guard. If needed, I agree with CHA-LEE I will break out the Dremel and smooth it over.