Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Commercial Rollsizer issues??

Hello everyone, I think I am having some issues with my commercial roll sizer And just want to be sure this isn’t normal before I reach out to Kevin about it. 

long story short, I was one of the people who was shipped a faulty DC rollsizer a couple years ago due to bad steel. I was given the option to upgrade to a commercial unit at a discount because there had not been any reports of issues with the commercials, so I went for it. 

used the commercial unit for a while with no issues on 9mm, then I did a little 45acp, And then the unit has sat for about a year due to life getting in the way of reloading. 

just tried to run some 9mm through the machine last night And I saw a small indent at the bottom of the case (similar to the DC issues but not as severe). There is a scratch/indent on the machine base, and possibly the slightest indent on the die, but it may just be a mirror finish I’m seeing, hard to tell.

Pictures below, but trying to figure out if something happened with this machine too, or if I just haven’t used it in a while and am being paranoid? All of my brass goes under a magnet after wet tumbling so I know only clean brass cases have gone through the machine. thanks for any help you can offer. 

DC rollsizer issues thread for reference: 

IMG_1548.jpeg

IMG_1547.jpeg

IMG_1549.jpeg

IMG_1544.jpeg

IMG_1553.jpeg

IMG_1552.jpeg

Haven't seen anything like that. Is it possible the die isn't all the way down? Maybe run some of those through upside down and see if that ridge goes away,

18 hours ago, sharko said:

Haven't seen anything like that. Is it possible the die isn't all the way down? Maybe run some of those through upside down and see if that ridge goes away,

I will try that tonight, I’m 99% sure that the die was all the way down though. I had to remove the 45acp die and cleaned the machine before installing the 9mm die. And it was nice and tight, nothing under the die for it to be raised up that I could think of. 

I reached out to Kevin tonight with an email around 6pm. By 9pm (9am his time) I had an email from his wife Heather saying that the wear was abnormal. She offered me the option of shipping the machine to Georgia for repair, or sending the repair kit to my house for me to do myself. Due to the size of the machine I asked about doing it myself and will report back with what I decide to do. 

Also, it seems like the 45acp die was the culprit. I forgot to look at that die at first since the 45 brass looked pretty good and when I did there was a large indent in the die. 

• 4 weeks later...

Kevin got a new base and new dies over to me in about 4 days after reaching out to him. I was finally able to get the new stuff installed last night. Honestly pretty easy repair, just had to take some screws out and put the new stuff on. However, those bolts were tight!! I didn’t have an Allen wrench drive for my impact, but I ended up having to use a hammer and Allen wrench for a couple of the bolts. Kevin said there was no torque requirement for the screws when reinstalling. 

one thing I did notice is the vast difference in appearance between the new and old base/dies. The old one was very bring and shiny, the new ones however have a darker tool steel appearance to me. 

overall I would say Kevin was extremely easy to work with and was extremely responsive to getting me taken care of and I wouldn’t hesitate to reach back out if there was any more problems. 

pictures of new and old bases and dies attached. New material is on the machine, old is sitting on top of it. 

IMG_1634.jpeg

@looking4reloadingdeals

Kevin replaced my dies too, the color difference is due to the new dies being heat treated to increase hardness (they’re cycled through a heat treatment furnace) and the color change difference doesn’t impact performance of longevity. Completely satisfied with the customer service and have successfully put 45k 9mm through the heat treated dies with zero issues. Happy reloading!

@looking4reloadingdeals, thanks for your thread. I have also the same problem with commercial rollsizer. I emailed Kevin earlier this afternoon and also sent pictures of the 9mm disc. Just waiting for his response now.

You can see the “lip” at the edge of the disc in this picture.

IMG-1394.jpg

IMG-1395.jpg

IMG-1397.jpg

On 6/13/2024 at 1:56 PM, sharko said:

So were these this way when you got them or wore that way? I mean I have probably a few hundred K through mine and it doesn't have that issue.

No, they did not come with the marks when new. From what Kevin told me between the mini rollsizer I had, And now the commercial, It seems like there was a time during Covid when Kevin had to change suppliers for his steel And he got a couple batches that were not heat treated properly. I think I just got unlucky twice (replaced my mini with the commercial within about a month of each other). He told me he has since found a supplier that is actually sending material to the spec that he Is ordering And the problems have been resolved. 

These machines have obviously been out for a while And it send like it was a temporary issue due to supply chain issues. 

i have done about 7-10k without issue since receiving my new die/base. 

On 6/10/2024 at 8:08 PM, George16 said:

@looking4reloadingdeals, thanks for your thread. I have also the same problem with commercial rollsizer. I emailed Kevin earlier this afternoon and also sent pictures of the 9mm disc. Just waiting for his response now.

You can see the “lip” at the edge of the disc in this picture.

IMG-1394.jpg

IMG-1395.jpg

IMG-1397.jpg

Hopefully he took as good of care of you as he did for me. Very quick responses And no delays in sending out new parts. Very happy with the interaction personally. 

14 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Hopefully he took as good of care of you as he did for me. Very quick responses And no delays in sending out new parts. Very happy with the interaction personally. 

Unfortunately, that’s not the case. He’s offering me a discounted price of $783 for the base and disc as replacement. I shouldn’t be paying for the replacement parts because it was a material deficiency and wasn’t caused by misuse and abuse. It also took a week for him to respond to my initial email.

Well based on George’s comments I am going to pause on purchasing a Rollsizer from Kevin. I have his Depriming machine and it has worked without any issues (have deprimmed about 45k-50k pieces of brass so far with it.

George - When your time allows please update us on any positive progress (or lack thereof). Hoping Kevin will step up and provide you replacement parts at no cost to you.  

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Well based on George’s comments I am going to pause on purchasing a Rollsizer from Kevin. I have his Depriming machine and it has worked without any issues (have deprimmed about 45k-50k pieces of brass so far with it.

George - When your time allows please update us on any positive progress (or lack thereof). Hoping Kevin will step up and provide you replacement parts at no cost to you.  

I sure will.