Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1.1.5 as it pertains to an "unbalanced shooting bridge"

On 5/14/2024 at 2:13 PM, broadside72 said:

But that only matters if the WSB says to shoot things from that thing shooting area. And yes I see that your WSB indicates so. 

Of course the RM is likely going to complain about consistency and force a reshoot if someone does shoot from outside when the WSB doesn't require it if everyone else has been coloring within the lines. 

"gamers gonna game"

Given we weren't furnished with an entire WSB I assumed it had the standard "At the start signal engage targets from within the shooting area". Also 10.2.1 which is your foot fault penalty doesn't require it to be stated in the stage brief so I'm dubious you could still get away with that even if the WSB didn't have the boilerplate language. Maybe an older version of the rule book had that but IMO it's pretty firmly closed with the current language.

2 hours ago, rtkwe said:

Given we weren't furnished with an entire WSB I assumed it had the standard "At the start signal engage targets from within the shooting area". Also 10.2.1 which is your foot fault penalty doesn't require it to be stated in the stage brief so I'm dubious you could still get away with that even if the WSB didn't have the boilerplate language. Maybe an older version of the rule book had that but IMO it's pretty firmly closed with the current language.

I've only been in the sport a little over 30 years, but I don't recall it EVER having been required to TELL shooters they had to shoot from within the shooting area.  Fault lines have ALWAYS carried penalties for shooting from the wrong side.

10 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

I've only been in the sport a little over 30 years, but I don't recall it EVER having been required to TELL shooters they had to shoot from within the shooting area.  Fault lines have ALWAYS carried penalties for shooting from the wrong side.

From what I gathered from a few RMI’s this was discussed in depth and was decided it needed to be stated.

17 minutes ago, Sarge said:

From what I gathered from a few RMI’s this was discussed in depth and was decided it needed to be stated.

I've heard the same thing from several of them.  However, this falls under the general headings of "customary, best practice, or recommendations."  I challenge anyone to show me in the rules where it is required.  (Be specific ... Cite the rule number!)  This is also one of the reasons I never sought to become an RMI.

On 5/16/2024 at 10:41 AM, waktasz said:

A youtube video starring Troy doesn't have any authority at any matches either, and neither does a post on their blog. They have said so themselves. 

But it is what RMI's teach in the NROI RO course, one of which is what that video I posted is from.  If it was not an official view, then they shouldn't be teaching it that way. 

I agree that it shouldn't be that way based on the rulebook, but if they are teaching it that way in an official capacity, I am going to take advantage of it when I want.  You can't have an entire cadre of ROs being taught that the WSB needs to tell you to shoot from the shooting area and then not let that POV stand.