Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A bump in Dillon 1050

Hello, I'm hoping that someone can help me with the issue that I'm having with my Dillon 1050. It seems that no matter what caliber I reload, when there is a case in the resizing station or the crimp station, there seems to be a knock. It doesn't effect the quality of ammo but it's annoying. What can I do to remedy this? 

The only knock I get is the powder funnel pulling out of the case.  Cycle it 8 times with no cases to make sure the noise isn't there first.  Then put a primed case under the powder die and see what happens.

You can also get knock from the primer slide not sliding all the way and from the shellplate not completely indexing, both requiring the alignment pins to pull them the last little bit.

Is it on the downstroke or upstroke?

Normally that's the powder die funnel causing the hitch, but if you say it happens without a case there?

If you just run one case around the whole shellplate, where does it have a problem?

7 minutes ago, Justwill1 said:

I'm having the problem when there is a case in the resizing station and the crimp station. 

When there's a case in both, or just one of them.  all the rest of the stations open?

What dies?

Clean the interior of the dies using an ammonia based bore solvent and a scotchbrite abraisive pad. It sounds like there is brass buildup in the dies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2024 at 11:00 AM, Justwill1 said:

As of right now, I'm reloading 45acp, I get the bump no matter what caliber I reload. It's only on the up stroke 

If you pre processed your brass AND used a expanding die to expand the case mouth prior to the powder drop this will solve majority of issues. I expand on the case processor and the pre expanded brass with the mouth pre flared as well makes it 100 percent smoother.