Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Prodigy factory mags

Looks like the Springfield prodigy ships with one 17 round and one 20 round magazine. Does anybody know if the tube size of each is identical? 

I would want to increase capacity for LO by swapping the base pads ans I'm trying to figure out how many additional magazines I would need to get. 

3 minutes ago, MJinPA said:

Looks like the Springfield prodigy ships with one 17 round and one 20 round magazine. Does anybody know if the tube size of each is identical? 

I would want to increase capacity for LO by swapping the base pads ans I'm trying to figure out how many additional magazines I would need to get. 

The tube sizes are not the same length 

To be honest if you wanted to increase capacity you may be better off to go with an atlas mag that's already ready to go with 23 rounds. Even though the prodigy mags are only 40 or so bucks, by the time you buy a TTI base pad and some grams internals you're basically at the same price as an atlas mag out of the box. 

I built up one prodigy mag, but decided it wasn't actually worth the money. So if you were looking for a couple of cheap 20 rounders The prodigy mags are the way to go, but if maxing capacity is the goal, probably should just spend the money right off the bat

1 hour ago, RJH said:

The tube sizes are not the same length 

To be honest if you wanted to increase capacity you may be better off to go with an atlas mag that's already ready to go with 23 rounds. Even though the prodigy mags are only 40 or so bucks, by the time you buy a TTI base pad and some grams internals you're basically at the same price as an atlas mag out of the box. 

I built up one prodigy mag, but decided it wasn't actually worth the money. So if you were looking for a couple of cheap 20 rounders The prodigy mags are the way to go, but if maxing capacity is the goal, probably should just spend the money right off the bat

I agree 100%. Prodigy mags are only good for practice and taking stress off of your real mags.

The factory spring and follower are low grade. The spring is wimpy and the follower is bulky, it takes up a lot of space.

The action as the follower transitions through the tube is catchy. I spent some time trying to smooth things out but in the end they are not worth spending any time or money on.

Get Atlas or MBX whichever turns you on.

59 minutes ago, ddc said:

I agree 100%. Prodigy mags are only good for practice and taking stress off of your real mags.

The factory spring and follower are low grade. The spring is wimpy and the follower is bulky, it takes up a lot of space.

The action as the follower transitions through the tube is catchy. I spent some time trying to smooth things out but in the end they are not worth spending any time or money on.

Good to know! I saw that EGW was making parts specifically for the Prodigy and was thinking that they might not be 100% compatible with all 1911/2011 parts. Sounds like this is not the case and standard 2011 mags will work just fine?

1 minute ago, MJinPA said:

Good to know! I saw that EGW was making parts specifically for the Prodigy and was thinking that they might not be 100% compatible with all 1911/2011 parts. Sounds like this is not the case and standard 2011 mags will work just fine?

Yes, it is a 2011 design so any 2011 mags should in theory work.

Having said that guns can have their own idiosyncrasies.

My Prodigy runs Atlas, MBX and some old STI mags without issue. 

I bought 2 Atlas standard 140mm mags. I don’t have a lot of rounds through them, 

but so far so good. They lock bag and fit my EGW mag well. I found them on sale at 75 bucks 

shipped from Battlehawk armory. I would take them every time over the Springfield

mags.

https://battlehawkarmory.com/product/atlas-gunworks-9mm38sc-140mm-standard-magazine

This is what I ordered. 

The 17 is a 126mm, the 20 is a 140mm, and the 26 is a 170mm. More or less.

I just got a Prodigy and haven't shot it yet, but I did check some of my collection of STI and SV mags in it. Everything fits and locks in, but some don't drop free. I think the mag catch will need some work.

9 hours ago, ddc said:

Well, that's B.S.! I shoot 4 20 rnd Prodigy mags and one 26 rnd Prodigy mag in competition all the time. The factory spring IS crap, and I replaced all of mine with ISMI springs but other than that they are stock and run great. No problems at all with the follower. Yeah, I could put an aftermarket follower in them and get a round or two more in them but I prefer to have slide lock functional.

Maybe I was misunderstood. All of my factory prodigy mags have worked completely fine. I only got about 3,000 pounds totals to the gun at this point though, so not a huge sample size. The springs do seem a little weak, but like I said at this point they've been fine. Just not really worth upgrading in my opinion

That said, when my springs go bad I'll probably go ahead and buy grams springs and followers so that I can get 21 in all my mags that still have the factory base pads on them. I just don't think it's worth buying the stuff to convert them to 23. Once you do that you might as well go ahead and just buy the mags that hold 23 from the get-go cause you're going to spend about the same money 

3 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Well, that's B.S.! I shoot 4 20 rnd Prodigy mags and one 26 rnd Prodigy mag in competition all the time. The factory spring IS crap, and I replaced all of mine with ISMI springs but other than that they are stock and run great. No problems at all with the follower. Yeah, I could put an aftermarket follower in them and get a round or two more in them but I prefer to have slide lock functional.

I'm glad you are happy with yours.

Obviously we've had vastly different experiences with Prodigy mags. 

You couldn't pay me to use them in a match as they come from the factory.

And it would seem you agree given you replaced your springs with aftermarket.

Perhaps not so much B.S. as you initially thought, eh?

Edited by ddc

22 hours ago, ddc said:

I'm glad you are happy with yours.

Obviously we've had vastly different experiences with Prodigy mags. 

You couldn't pay me to use them in a match as they come from the factory.

And it would seem you agree given you replaced your springs with aftermarket.

Perhaps not so much B.S. as you initially thought, eh?

Actually, the mags functioned just fine except they started not locking the slide back from time to time. That was the only reason I changed the springs. Some shooters don't have a problem with the slide not locking back on an empty mag, I'll stand by my original statement.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the 20 mag that came with my Prodigy, stripped it down to the body and added an old TTI follower, spring and 4mm basepad -  it took 23 rounds. I’ve been using it in practice and dryfire sessions and it functioned without issue. 

13 hours ago, prreed10 said:

I took the 20 mag that came with my Prodigy, stripped it down to the body and added an old TTI follower, spring and 4mm basepad -  it took 23 rounds. I’ve been using it in practice and dryfire sessions and it functioned without issue. 

You need to check that mag in a mag gauge if you ever compete in a Level II or III match with it. I tried my Dawson SNL basepads from my limited gun SV mags(which gauge okay) and the SA Duramags wouldn't fit the gauge.

10 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

You need to check that mag in a mag gauge if you ever compete in a Level II or III match with it. I tried my Dawson SNL basepads from my limited gun SV mags(which gauge okay) and the SA Duramags wouldn't fit the gauge.

Good reminder - This mag will never see competition but the new Atlas ones I have will. Definitely need to check those.