Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 end shake / gap

So long story short, 627 occasional random hard trigger pulls. Without rounds in it I can't get it to replicate. I measured the cylinder gap around .005/6. However when I push the cylinder forward I can't get anything in. My 929 still has a gap when the cylinder is pushed forward. I think I need a shim or two ? 

sounds more like a high primer issue..  Excessive cylinder gap/ play would be more likely to cause light strikes I would think

Yes Ron powers sells shims, remember to put cases in the cylinder before loosening the rod. And it loosens turning CW, opposite of normal.

Right, I saw a midway video on that. Just for the heck of it I check my others 627,625,25,442,617, and 17 all have gap when cylinder is forward. 

Primers are not high or brass related. All star line either new or de-capped and wet tumbled. But yes it does have that sort of feeling. 

I put in two (2) .002 shims / bearings/ washers. I have run about 300 rounds though it no binding no hang ups. My total end play is about .005 at this point. I'm wondering if this was just wear and tear or was it always like this. I'll be honest until a month ago I couldn't really feel my trigger finger that well. Now that I have gained some feeling back I surely can tell the difference. 

Most likely a previous owner had trimmed and squared the crane barrel and added shims that got lost at some point.

One theory is that this method results in a smoother cylinder rotation.